Axle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle help

i have a 98 cherokee sport and yesterday the rear end started making a winding noise and it sound like its from the drivers side, but the thing is it only makes this noise as i step on the gas pedal, almost as if its under pressure when it starts. if it helps any, the rear end is a chrysler 8.25,
    29 spline.
    1998 2Dr Cherokee. 4.0 HO with an AX-15 5spd and NP231. Dana 30HP front and ford 8.8 rear.
    .,=====o00o ______________
    //___l__,\____\,___ ____
    l_---\____l----[]lllllll[] _
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Not sure what you mean by winding, but check out your u-joint.
    -Matt
    Facebook

Comment

pinion bearing problems are common on the 8.25s

Comment

start by checkin to atleast you have enough gear oil in the axle. then check drive haft U joints... although if you had an issue with your shaft it usually results in a vibration but..
        #becauseJoeNitro

Comment

so odds are that it is the pinion bearing, would it be worth just overhauling the whole rear end with bearings and seals since it does have a little over 100K on it?
          1998 2Dr Cherokee. 4.0 HO with an AX-15 5spd and NP231. Dana 30HP front and ford 8.8 rear.
          //___l__,\____\,___ ____
          _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

i took the rear apart and found that the driver's side carrier bearing was fried it has burn marks and was partially melted, so my plan is to replace the bearings fill it with fluid and paint the cover.
            //___l__,\____\,___ ____
            _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

Working...
            X