3rd member tech questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd member tech questions

Can regular ford 9" 3rd members be essentially flipped to high pinion???

I mean the assembly itself seems as though all you would have to do is flip it upside down and install reverse cut gears, and bam, hi 9

and are the factory 3rd members compatible with aftermarket housings like the ballistic fab ones or the spider9 housings??
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

no
    Originally posted by Ktmracer419
    some people choose video games
    some choose projects
    some choose welding random things together

Comment

they should work with after market housings but as for being flipped i know there is oiling issues on them and other shit that would make it so it wouldnt work. Seriously if it was that easy why wouldn't everyone be running it?
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

I don't know. i just figured i'd ask. i was looking at one today and i really couldn't find a reason why it wouldn't work. The idea made enough sense to at least ask, to me anyway.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
          they should work with after market housings but as for being flipped i know there is oiling issues on them and other shit that would make it so it wouldnt work. Seriously if it was that easy why wouldn't everyone be running it?
          x2
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

It's not the Oiling that is the big problem, that's the least difficult part.
            Especially if your off roading slow moving it runs cool and doesn't need as much oil plus steep down hills the oil will get to the pinion bearings.
            High speeds you might need a scuffer to direct oil to the pinion and a dam to keep the oil in the pinion area Dana HP axles are built in like this.

When you flip the axle over/third member the pinion gear goes on the opposite side of the ring gear so it will turn the axle backwards.

Revers cut gears/ HP axle keep the pinion on the SAME side they just revers the drive side and coast side of the gear teeth which ends up putting it on the top side of the ring gear instead of the bottom so you get a higher pinion.
            Reverse cut gear are stronger in the front because the axle turns backwards the whole reason they swap the drive/coast sides the drive side is stronger. Therefor a HP in the rear is weaker. Well driving in the correct direction

The High nine from Currie made a third member to uses 8.8 reverse cut gears and True 9 custom makes gears and a housing so you get a full 9" gear.

You can get the drive train to spin backwards by putting the engine in the rear or running a transaxle in the correct orientation. Then you can use flipped over low pinion axle as high pinion axles, just dam off the bottom and open up the top oil paths.
            This is what a lot of buggies run.

I took a front HP dana 60 9.75 ring gear so bigger than a 9 inch and retubed it to make a rear axle. I left the Knuckles on it incase I ever wanted to add rear steer. But it would be just as easy to put on spindles or bearing flanges.
            That is your cheapest route for a HP rear.

Keep in mind Clayton has a HP 60 rear and is on his 4th or 5th sets of ring and pinions

You can do it with a D44 but that wouldn't be very strong. I'm actually going to run a HP D44 rear on my ultra light buggy that someday I'll be building hopefully it is light enough for the axle.
            I have a HP44 from a 78 f250 and a TJ d44 rear I'll swap the centers for a HP44 rear that will accept TJ axles.
            I also have pucks and a bar to keep it all straight. Not very hard to do.

You can also make a HPD60 rear at TJ axle width they sell 35spline TJ D44 axles which is the same spline.
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

www.truehi9.com
              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                It's not the Oiling that is the big problem, that's the least difficult part.
                Especially if your off roading slow moving it runs cool and doesn't need as much oil plus steep down hills the oil will get to the pinion bearings.
                High speeds you might need a scuffer to direct oil to the pinion and a dam to keep the oil in the pinion area Dana HP axles are built in like this.

When you flip the axle over/third member the pinion gear goes on the opposite side of the ring gear so it will turn the axle backwards.

Revers cut gears/ HP axle keep the pinion on the SAME side they just revers the drive side and coast side of the gear teeth which ends up putting it on the top side of the ring gear instead of the bottom so you get a higher pinion.
                Reverse cut gear are stronger in the front because the axle turns backwards the whole reason they swap the drive/coast sides the drive side is stronger. Therefor a HP in the rear is weaker. Well driving in the correct direction

The High nine from Currie made a third member to uses 8.8 reverse cut gears and True 9 custom makes gears and a housing so you get a full 9" gear.

You can get the drive train to spin backwards by putting the engine in the rear or running a transaxle in the correct orientation. Then you can use flipped over low pinion axle as high pinion axles, just dam off the bottom and open up the top oil paths.
                This is what a lot of buggies run.

I took a front HP dana 60 9.75 ring gear so bigger than a 9 inch and retubed it to make a rear axle. I left the Knuckles on it incase I ever wanted to add rear steer. But it would be just as easy to put on spindles or bearing flanges.
                That is your cheapest route for a HP rear.

Keep in mind Clayton has a HP 60 rear and is on his 4th or 5th sets of ring and pinions

You can do it with a D44 but that wouldn't be very strong. I'm actually going to run a HP D44 rear on my ultra light buggy that someday I'll be building hopefully it is light enough for the axle.
                I have a HP44 from a 78 f250 and a TJ d44 rear I'll swap the centers for a HP44 rear that will accept TJ axles.
                I also have pucks and a bar to keep it all straight. Not very hard to do.

You can also make a HPD60 rear at TJ axle width they sell 35spline TJ D44 axles which is the same spline.
                thanks justin

that puts that in perspective pretty well.

ForSure Motorsports
                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Working...
                X