No announcement yet.

Fender trimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea i know some people...does anyone get stoped for driving without flares..my friend put 6in bushwaskers on because he was pulled over a couple times i think?

I might just have to get out the little sketch pad and invent some amazing flat removable flares made out of diamond plate or something. That i could take off when i go off road(if necessary)

Comment

diamond plate flares are a huge no-no here take your stock flares, drill holes in them and the fender and use small bolts or even zip ties to hold them on. it will look good
      I drive a Datsun

Comment

there are tons of options for flares out there. BW's are $$ and break way to easy, mount tj flares, stock flares, or if you're running a narrow tire/axle setup, just run no flares
        God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by Riot View Post
          When you pull of the flares there will be a dirt line (underneath the top line)
          That's where I went... 3.5" on 33's. Little less excessive than Phil.
          This is enough to clear 33's without rubbing?

Comment

i think if u just cut where the fender flares out ( sheet metal part) you can clear, just have to watch the under the cherokee symbol part of the fender
            God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Not to go off topic but will i need new gears if i run 33's and what gears should i run?
              Does this look likea good deal from rustys offroad

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...egory_Code=RIN
              Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 12-18-2009, 08:51 PM.

Comment

You can clear 33s with 3-3.5" of lift and trimming. Also look into using bumpstops. As far a gears go go to completeoffroad.com. From what I have heard they have the best deals. Gearing for 33s most run 4.56 or 4.88.
                2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
                1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

Don't get rustys gears, and just trim right above where the sheet metal flares out from the quarter panel
                  P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                  2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                  OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

If you want help trimming head up to cheshire. Ive trimmed a fender or two.
                    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by cherokee-at-16 View Post
                      This is enough to clear 33's without rubbing?
                      Yeah, If you see my avatar my front didn't rub at all and I never trimmed the back. I think it's the line most people use, unless they want to look like Phil.
                      Also, Joe Nitro on here makes a great set of Diamond Plate flares, if you need tips.

I have never gotten pulled over without flares. Most of the people I hear end up with warnings/fix-it tickets anyways.
                      Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

hey man i'm from milford as well. Maybe you've seen my jeep around its a loud green piece of crap, anyways.....

i run 33's on about 2.5-3 inches of lift. its really not too difficult, the trimming anyway. for the fronts most people follow the dirt line left behind when you take the fender off, i just use and angle grinder and cut.

for the rear its alittle more complicated, there is a cut and fold process that you need to do to prevent from causing all kinds of hell. That should give you just the right amount of space to run the 33's.

If you want a hand or some pointers, i have done a bunch of trim jobs just like this before, just let me know. and i have some pictures, from when i did the trimming on my jeep at each different step, i know for me that visual aid, deff helps.

For gears, i am running 4.56's, even though i wanted to run 4.88's. i got way too good of a deal going the other route than to even worry about it. Also i have heard that running anything lower than 4.56's in a dana 30 gets kind of sketchy because the size of the pinion gear gets to be too small and consequently weaker. i drove for almost a year with 33's on stock 3.55's and it really wasn't terrible.

Personally i'd advise you to invest in some armor first after your lift and tires, your jeep looks pretty and i'm guessing you'd want to keep it that way. you will be amazed with how capable it will be on 33's open/open, also i think it makes you a better wheeler to drive open/opens for a while cause it forces you to pick better and smarter lines than just powering over stuff. that being said, if you're building on a tight budget like i had to, you just have to wait and upgrade over time. I'm not downplaying the role of lockers btw, if you can afford one, get one, they are well worth the money.
                        Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 12-19-2009, 01:59 AM.
                        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

I have a bumper on the way from JCR. Unless I find some used rocker gaurds that's all the armor I will have for a while. I'm planing on now reinstalling the old fenders and maybe get some extentions...say them somewhere and it didn't look half bad.

I know the flares i femeber seeing...they look good...they are the pacer flexy flares, just flat platic that goes around anywhere to cut
                          Last edited by cherokee-at-16; 12-19-2009, 07:30 AM.

Comment

Just relocate your factory flares up. It will look a lot better than those

Comment

this was a bad idea and looked like shit.

this looked even worse and they sucked. broke in like 2 runs.

bottom line unless your tires stick out crazy far just run no flares. if you do get pulled over worst youll get is a fix-ti-ticket. then get yourself a set of tj flares and mount them up it will be enough to get you by and doesent look like shit.

oh if you want help trimming its really e z i just did this one.

#becauseJoeNitro

Comment

http://www.sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6127

will be well worth it, just ask bigbike.
                                No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                                Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
                                X