Big axle driveability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big axle driveability

I need some input for those of you who drive XJ's with full width axles..I maybe sorta might pick up a hp44 and 9 inch with 4.88's..spool rear, ARB airlocker front..Id prob just run my 33''s for now..step it up to 35's or 36's eventually..I've been looking at pics and with bushwackers they look legal as far as the tires sticking out....But I also drive this jeep everyday...And go on loooong distance camping trips...I like the idea of having superstrong axles i wouldnt have to carry shafts for..and strong enough..and good gearing to tow dirtbikes and small trailers etc....But I dont know if its really practicle for what i do...I do wheel almost every weekend and follow the big boys just fine on my d30 and 8.25..Just wondering and pros and cons ppl have dealt with, thanks!
    98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

If you plan on running the Ford dual piston calipers you are going to have a really tough time making it legal as far as tire coverage unless you either run enormous flares, or run 16.5/17" wheels.

My 15" wheels clear the calipers with a very small amount of grinding, but that's with 2.75" of backspace which makes it very wiiiide. I'll need at least a 11" flare in the front, and 9" flare in the back to even come close to being street legal. I've seen one build that the guy ran 17" wheels with 5" of backspace, and the tires were almost completely covered with a set of bushwackers.

If you run Chevy 1/2 ton brakes you can clear 15" wheels, but you need to run the entire chevy outer assembaly.
    Last edited by Even; 12-16-2009, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Why not keep the 99 the way it is and put the 44/9 on the red one? That way you have a clean lifted wheelable DD and a sweet toy.
      -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

in my opinion... the only reason to go fullwidth is if your running 60's...

i dont see the point in running a fullwidth 44..
        -same u joint size as a 30..
        -just run a waggy to keep it narrow
        -running the waggy also eliminates the brake issue.
        -high pinion is nice, but not necessary.
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post

i dont see the point in running a fullwidth 44..
          -same u joint size as a 30..
          -just run a waggy to keep it narrow
          -running the waggy also eliminates the brake issue.
          -high pinion is nice, but not necessary.
          THIS
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

also thing to note...

having bigger axles means ya wanna do bigger things which means ya break bigger things which means ya pay more for the bigger things.....
            in the end the word "driveability" ends up meaning "can i make it from the trailer to the woods without getting pulled over??"
            Originally posted by Ktmracer419
            some people choose video games
            some choose projects
            some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
              If you want to run a FF rear axle, it's much easier to go full width.

Comment

Ill say this much about going to bigger axles. build them up completely before you ever pull the axles youre running. get them as close to bolt in and finalized as you can, as it will eliminate down time.

Even when you might think you can just throw them in, theres still alot of shit you havent thought of that is inolved in making them work. trust me on this.

also, with the amount of shit you'll have to go through, i cant see how anything less than 60 range when considering full widths would be worth it. but that just me.
                "Watching you work on your Jeep is like watching a doctor operate on a cadaver...
                It may be good practice, but in the end it won't do much good." -My Mother.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                  Why not keep the 99 the way it is and put the 44/9 on the red one? That way you have a clean lifted wheelable DD and a sweet toy.
                  I would partially trade the red jeep for the axles if i did it (but i dont think i will for some reason i really like the 89)..But if i had the money to burn thats what i would do..put them in the red jeep..But everyone makes very valid points..And i think if i have the money down the road id do 60's, right now i think i like being the underdog with my setup, just may have to make a gearng change eventually.
                  98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Originally posted by netrachamp1853 View Post
                    I need some input for those of you who drive XJ's with full width axles..I maybe sorta might pick up a hp44 and 9 inch with 4.88's..spool rear, ARB airlocker front..Id prob just run my 33''s for now..step it up to 35's or 36's eventually..I've been looking at pics and with bushwackers they look legal as far as the tires sticking out....But I also drive this jeep everyday...And go on loooong distance camping trips...I like the idea of having superstrong axles i wouldnt have to carry shafts for..and strong enough..and good gearing to tow dirtbikes and small trailers etc....But I dont know if its really practicle for what i do...I do wheel almost every weekend and follow the big boys just fine on my d30 and 8.25..Just wondering and pros and cons ppl have dealt with, thanks!
                    those axles are stupid wide for 33's

and a front 44 aint worth runnin with the stock shafts in my opinion

i had no driveability issues with my 44/60. except certain towns raped me with fender flare/width tickets

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                    THIS
                    THAT
                    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                    X