44 shaft upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44 shaft upgrades

Im looking to upgrade both the front and rear shafts along with the front u joints after breaking both a front and rear shaft at the same time last weekend.
    Im starting to do some research on diff. shafts that are available such as alloy, longfield, chromos. Does anyone have any recommendations on what brand or even what dealer i should look at to buy them from?
    99 xj, 3" RC, 35" BFG AT red labels, custom rear bumper, SYE, armor, Hellas, waggy 44's fr+rr, 5.13's ,lunchbox lockers fr+rr, rear disk conversion,rock crusher covers frt+rr, beefy homemade 1 ton highsteer setup

I looked into Longfields for myself, only to have someone tell me that they don't make regular D44 versions. They only make them for Yota axles and Rubicon D44's. Something about the birfields are too big and don't clear the regular D44 knuckles/hubs/whatever.

When I upgrade I plan to throw my money at Longfield's 300M joints. Lifetime warranty against breakage, and if you DO break one they give you a replacement and another free one IIRC. Plus, they are a great company to deal with from what I hear.

Comment

Dont get yukons. Nitro axleshafts seem to be good. Sam has been running them and hasnt broke them yet and thats saying something

Comment

i've heard great things about G2's axle shafts, they use a 4340 chromoly and have their own heat treating process that supposedly makes them incredibly strong. I'd check them out, only bad thing is that they are rediculously expensive. i think a set for a dana 30 is like 700 bucks, idk about any for 44's.
        www.g2axle.com
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

any alloy shaft in rear you should be good to go, most people have no problems with the stockers on 35's.

in front i would run nitro's

i have never broken my moser inners, but the nitro's are hella cheaper, have a better warranty (lifetime) and one season of my hardest wheeling to date on them and they are still holding up.

get em from the guy in the pirate vendors section. its like 500 bucks for a complete set which is a hella deal.

for u joints ANY super duper joint is not going to break on you

for cheapest get the "super" joints from complete offroad, they are just rebadged yukon super joints for 100 bucks less (even though other yukon stuff sucks i have had no problems with these)
          www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

i have alloy usa front waggy shafts, they came with spicer u-joints. i have had good luck thus far.

and i donno if warn still makes it, but the rear full float warn 44 kit is boss playa. i have no issues with it and by buddy coit ran the kit on a waggy 44 in a cj with a healthy v8 and 36's with 0 issues.
            Last edited by grundlepunch; 12-14-2009, 08:52 AM.
            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

So it looks like ill go with the nitro's for the front. Considering i destroyed the shafts and the spicer joint i had in them was unscathed should i save some money and stick with spicers or is it worth the extra $200+ for some good u-joints? For the rear i think i'm just gonna find a stock replacement for now to get it moving and upgrade later down the road when i have some more money.
              99 xj, 3" RC, 35" BFG AT red labels, custom rear bumper, SYE, armor, Hellas, waggy 44's fr+rr, 5.13's ,lunchbox lockers fr+rr, rear disk conversion,rock crusher covers frt+rr, beefy homemade 1 ton highsteer setup

Comment

ill keep my eyes peeled on forums and shit for a good deal on something used for your rear

Comment

Originally posted by xjeeper View Post
                  So it looks like ill go with the nitro's for the front. Considering i destroyed the shafts and the spicer joint i had in them was unscathed should i save some money and stick with spicers or is it worth the extra $200+ for some good u-joints? For the rear i think i'm just gonna find a stock replacement for now to get it moving and upgrade later down the road when i have some more money.
                  get spicers, they are strong and cheap. but not strong like ctm's where you will break the ears off the shaft b4 the joint
                  "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

i ran 2 spicer u joints through 5 broken outer shafts

2 were moser alloys
                    2 were stock
                    one was yukon
                    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                    X