flat towing a lifted cherokee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flat towing a lifted cherokee

hokay so. i've flat towed one thing in my life and that was for a short while behind my jeep with a tow bar. how do i go about attaching some sort of tow bar on my jeep with the bumper being so much higher than stock? it will be getting towed by a RV, so i'm guessing the hitch will be kinda low. i have a tow bar, but is there some special one i need? can i take a drop hitch and flip it upside down or something? and this needs to be 100% safe, its gotta stay back there for a LOOOOONNGGGG time.

Comment

you can take a drop hitch and flip it upside down
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
        you can take a drop hitch and flip it upside down
        awesome. what about mounting the bar to the bumper?

Comment

there is a few different styles of tow bars, and honestly they all are garbage. I know Mike R who was flat towing flipped his xj because the bar broke on the high way. You really should just looking into a dolly and pulling the rear d/s
          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

Attach car tow bar to the vehicle that will do the towing, by holding tow bar parallel to your rear bumper. Hook metal clips around top of bumper to hold tow bar in place. Hook lower clips on tow bar to the bottom of the bumper and pull slack out by pulling the excess chain through the retaining holes and lock in place by sliding chain into socket on bumper hitch. Tighten tow bar by turning wing nuts on chain to tighten the remaining slack.

Step
            Attach A-frame tow bar to vehicle to be towed by holding the base of the A-frame parallel to the front bumper of vehicle to be towed. Attach metal clips on tow bar to the top of front bumper to hold in place. Attach lower clips to the bottom of the bumper and pull slack out of chains by running through retaining holes and locking in place, sliding chain into slots on bumper and turning to lock. Tighten A-frame tow bar by turning wing nut to draw slack out of chains.

Step
            Move A-frame into place by having someone slowly drive vehicle to be towed into position while someone holds A-frame up and directs driver into position. Lower A-frame ball socket over the hitch ball on the car bumper hitch of the towing vehicle. When ball socket is completely seated over hitch ball, tighten screw over top of the ball socket to secure. Connect chains from A-frame to the frame of the towing vehicle (this is a safety chain).

easiest explanation i could find
            2001 wj tbd
            1974 5 ton

Comment

thanks, i just wasnt sure if it was different bc of the non stock bumper. zillions of people flat tow im sure itll be fine. i'll look into dollys too though.

Comment

defiantly get a tow doll, especially for a lifted jeep

Comment

Ive never seen a tow bar that attaches just to the bumper. Imagine a setup like that on a stock XJ bumper? I see setups all the time on WJs and other jeeps that are attached to the unibody and come out under the stock air dam or where the tow hooks are. So its firmly attached and then the A frame is attached to that.
                  Lady bugs don't like it when you paint stripes on them

2005 WK Limited 4.7 V8, Slightly Modded

2006 Jeep Liberty Sport 2.8L CRD Diesel Stock

Comment

Working...
                  X