waggy 44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waggy 44

I got a rear dana 44 out of a wagoneer with the offset pinion, has anyone swapped these in cherokees? is it fine with the angle on it?
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

one of the ones offset like an inch?

dont worry about it
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

more than an inch like 6
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

shit, old school stuff

would be an issue at speed.

i would scrap it and get a 80+ waggy 44 for mad cheap

Comment

prob will not see much street time
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

run it

i would still get a center drop 44 though. they are a dime a dozen

Comment

this one was free has the same gearing i got now

so unless i can find one for free or cheap. i do not find them all over
              2001 wj tbd
              1974 5 ton

Comment

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1017357

8.25?
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

already got a 29 spline 8.25 and it is junk not strong enough
                  2001 wj tbd
                  1974 5 ton

Comment

me thinks that with a cv driveshaft there should be no real prominate issues
                    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
                    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Originally posted by greenxj513 View Post
                      me thinks that with a cv driveshaft there should be no real prominate issues
                      would need a cv at each end if he wants smoothness

unless he can shim the pinion to one side

Comment

thats what i meant, a cv joint at the pinion end as well.

ForSure Motorsports
                        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

I have decided to put it aside for a mini buggy build
                          2001 wj tbd
                          1974 5 ton

Comment

Were do you get axles? Just go to a junk yard and look in the axle section?
                            What axles bolt right up to the xj?
                            If im going to regear might as well do it to an axle that will be worth it.

Comment

axles can be had in various places, junkyards being one but i've had pretty good luck getting them from people around here, usually you get a better deal.
                              What year is your jeep? it may have a dana 35 rear, and if its a 2000-20001 it may have a low pinion dana 30 front. in that case you'd wanna look into swaping something for it, because the dana 35 is considerable weak and the low pinion 30 sucks monkey nuts with ground clearance.
                              Rear:
                              In terms of bolt-in swap you'd want to either go with a 29 spline 8.25 which can be found under xj's from late 96, early 97-99 models, i'm not 100% about the 00-01's, i think some had them but the dana 35 was used alot those years. Also from 1986-1989 some xj's with the tow package came with 30 spline dana 44's. both of these upgrades would be beneficial seeing as you can safely run 35 inch tires on both of these axles.
                              Another upgrade that isn't bolt-in but is still a great upgrade is the ford 8.8, approx the same width, 31 spline shafts, same 5 on 4.5 lug pattern makes these axles a good swap. Find one from a 97 or newer ford explorer and you'll even get an upgrade to rear disc brakes. The only disadvantage is you need to weld new sping perches and shock mounts to it to make it bolt up to the xj.
                              Front:
                              The dana 30 is actually a pretty stoud axle for mild to moderate wheeling with 33-35 inch tires. If you have a low pinion one, upgrade to a high pinion, it will give you alittle bit more ground clearance under the housing and they are so abundent, there really is no reason not to. It will be a bolt in swap. Just by looking at the pic of your jeep i know its new enough to say you have the larger 297x u joints in your axle shafts. these are stronger than the smaller shafts and can hold 33 inch tires. You could also upgrade the larger shafts with a set of spicer 5-760x u joints, which are a stronger u joint.

for more info on axle tech check out this thread:

http://sisoffroad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115

ForSure Motorsports
                              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

Working...
                              X