differential gear questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• differential gear questions

so long story short my rear diff has been making noise for like a week now, that noise turned into a loud bang and grindage... drove few miles back to town and pulled my rear cover and one of the carrier bearings blew apart. some of the roller bearings hit the ring gear teeth, kind of hard to tell in the pic's, but think the ring gear will be good still till spring if i file the rough spots down ? The jeeps going off the road in spring for axle work so trying not to spend much on mah turdy five till then.

carrier is shot, worn right down

started hitting my cover
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

how the fuck did you not explode that gearset with the bearings as fucked as they got?

lucky

if it was me i would just find a d35 with the same gears and do a ring gear swap
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
      how the fuck did you not explode that gearset with the bearings as fucked as they got?

lucky

if it was me i would just find a d35 with the same gears and do a ring gear swap
      it exploded on a 90 degree turn going like 2mph, then i drove like 5 miles home doing constant 35mph

yea im thinking the same thing, thats what i did with the commanche i had. picked up an axle from dave (i think) and swapped it all out. I got lucky though and didnt need a tow haha. The jeep must of loved that i just put new unit bearings, outer u-joints and TRE in it so it gave me a break and let me drive back home
      up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
      eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

ouch, still comin for my axle?

Comment

Why not upgrade your rear axle and regear it now?
          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
            Why not upgrade your rear axle and regear it now?
            because i dont have money
            eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Working...
            X