soft brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soft brakes

Ever since swapping the HP30 into my ZJ the brakes have been softer than shit. Soft enough that I can barely stop it after rolling around the driveway. I've bled them twice, and still no success.

The old LP30 had ABS, and I disconnected the lines going to the axle thinking there was an outside chance it could cause problems, but that did absolutely nothing. Is there a way to disconnect the entire unit?

The thing is, the pedal is softer than a flacid cock, even when everything is shut off like there is still air in the lines. So I don't see how ABS would have anything to do with this.

The only thing that has really changed is that there is no more ABS. I'm using the same calipers/rotors off the LP30. The brakes were always soft, but not even close to this. Any ideas?
    Last edited by Even; 12-03-2009, 10:32 PM.

Just keep on bleeding it... it takes a while to get all the air out.... is there anyway air got in the master cylinder?

Comment

Originally posted by XJtheXtremeJeep View Post
      is there anyway air got in the master cylinder?
      I'm a newbie fuckstick as far as things like this, how exactly would air get into the MC?

P.S. I'm not getting ANY air out of the bleeders anymore, it's pure fluid.

Comment

air can stay pocketed in the master.... is your brake light on? if the fluid in the lines dripped out to the point the resevoir had no fluid in it you can get air in the master...

Comment

put a brick or something on the brake peddle overnight. It should work the air back to the master if there is air in the system
          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

^^^^^ This.......If you just swapped the master in a didnt bench bleed it, there will be air in it. I would recommend looking up how to bench bleed it cause its kinda hard to explain in detail. pretty much put the master in a vise and fill the resevoir. push in on the plunger over and over until fluid shoots out of the ports. (put a piece of tubing on the ports or fluid will be everywhere) than bleed your brakes from farthest away from the master to the closest. (usually RR, LR, RF, LF) but first I would gravity bleed them and let them drip for a few hours. just watch your fluid level

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

im having the same problem my brakes are soft too.. went wheeling came back with soft brakes.. found my wheel cylinder was leaking like a sob so the res was real real low.. did the cylinder bleed the brakes and there still real real soft..

Comment

Working...
              X