Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wannabejeep View Post
    sounds kinda like a ma ma ma misfire to me
    I like this answer the best. time fo a tune up.

I liked TPS second best.
    Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

i had this same problem over the summer. first off do you have any codes? i ran around trying everything and it turned out to be that my forward o2 sensor was garbage. changed that out and instantly the fuel trim was back to normal. most people dont think much about the o2's but they make a huge difference in fuel economy and the way the engine performs. scan your jeep. look for codes and watch for HO2S an Fuel system trim levels, and voltages coming from your sensors. if no codes are present and you complete a tune up with no success check your ignition coil, if the resistance is out of spec then it can cause this problem, and also check for cracks because any moisture or contamination that gets in there can cause resistance and conectivity issues. good luck

edit: i just noticed you have an 89... some of what i said may not apply
      Last edited by Lycaon; 12-21-2009, 11:18 AM.
      2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
      1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

Originally posted by Lycaon View Post
        i had this same problem over the summer. first off do you have any codes? i ran around trying everything and it turned out to be that my forward o2 sensor was garbage. changed that out and instantly the fuel trim was back to normal. most people dont think much about the o2's but they make a huge difference in fuel economy and the way the engine performs. scan your jeep. look for codes and watch for HO2S an Fuel system trim levels, and voltages coming from your sensors. if no codes are present and you complete a tune up with no success check your ignition coil, if the resistance is out of spec then it can cause this problem, and also check for cracks because any moisture or contamination that gets in there can cause resistance and conectivity issues. good luck

edit: i just noticed you have an 89... some of what i said may not apply

yea, it's an 89 which means no port to scan for codes
        God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

I would pull the plugs to see if any are wet or heavily fouled. After you run it, if you have a wet plug that smells like fuel, that cylinder isn't firing. If thats the case, put the plug in the boot and ground it to the block while someone else cranks it. If there is no spark then its time to trace that back. Visually check the wires, swap one off a cylinder that you know is firing just to see if its a bad wire. Break out the manual and voltmeter and check the resistance through the coil to see if its in spec. Visually check the cap and rotor. Is it corroded? When its running just pull the wire off a plug to see if you hear any changes in the running condition of the engine. If not, that cylinder isn't firing.

This is all easy basic stuff and cheap stuff that I would knock out first before I would start throwing money at other things.
          I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

since christmas is coming, my dad is getting me a dist. cap, plugs wires and a rotor, the ones on it now are from my '90 that i just swaped so they are probably not to good anymore
            God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

sounds like spock issue

tune that bitch up
              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                I would pull the plugs to see if any are wet or heavily fouled. After you run it, if you have a wet plug that smells like fuel, that cylinder isn't firing. If thats the case, put the plug in the boot and ground it to the block while someone else cranks it. If there is no spark then its time to trace that back. Visually check the wires, swap one off a cylinder that you know is firing just to see if its a bad wire. Break out the manual and voltmeter and check the resistance through the coil to see if its in spec. Visually check the cap and rotor. Is it corroded? When its running just pull the wire off a plug to see if you hear any changes in the running condition of the engine. If not, that cylinder isn't firing.

This is all easy basic stuff and cheap stuff that I would knock out first before I would start throwing money at other things.
                wont one of those AutoZone scans just tell him if he has a misfire?
                Is it egg nog season yet?

Comment

Originally posted by Riot View Post
                  wont one of those AutoZone scans just tell him if he has a misfire?
                  no. he is obd1

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                    no. he is obd1
                    yep. you gotta use your brain, and your mind, and your head.
                    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                    1999 sierra
                    1967 M725 Big and Slow
                    -Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X