Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needz a weldur

My 20 yr old mig just lit on fire the other day so I need me a new one

id like something big enough to handle 1/4-3/8", I have ability to run 220 thanks to my homebrew 220 extention cable, and I'd like shielded gas but I haven't used fluxcore so I really am open to suggestions, spanks
    dirty30

I just picked up a brand new in box Lincoln 175 for 400 bucks off craigslist a couple months ago and couldn't be happier. If you are patient, there are plenty of deals out there to be had. It's small and very portable, and it welds 1/4" with absolutely no problem. The guy I bought it from ran a welding shop, and claimed I could weld up to 1/2" with multiple passes. If you stick with the big 3 (Lincoln, Hobart, or Miller) you shouldn't have a problem with quality.

This is the one- http://reviews.pricegrabber.com/sold...ls/m/12984001/

Run shielding gas. I used my fathers arc welder for a while, and even burned up the 2lb spool of flux that came with the welder originally. I went down and bought my own tank of CO2/Ar and I wouldn't be caught dead welding with flux core again. The only real downside to running gas is using it on windy days can be interesting, but I personally haven't had a problem welding outside as of yet.

Dana uses the exact same welder IIRC.
    Last edited by Even; 11-28-2009, 04:54 PM.

Comment

A 175 will weld 1/2 but you would need an extremely heavy bevel and multiple passes to get there. Then you will run up against the duty cycle and it will struggle.

Comment

Well, the other thing is I have a 220 arc unit so I wouldn't be welding any 1/2" with the mig, anything >3/8 I would use the arc.

The main project I need this for is my stiffener
        dirty30

Comment

Working...
        X