CB Q's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB Q's

So here's the thing, i've had a cb mounted in the jeep but never got to actually getting it tuned and functional. I have a Cobra 29 and have some questions: What do all the knobs do, and how do i adjust them properly?

And will a stock car antenna work for a cb antenna? The Cobra came with a magnet antenna and all i did was unscrew the cb antenna and put on a stock jeep antenna. Will this work or should i pick up a firestik and some coax and do it right?
    Firestik 4 ft
    100.00%
    102" Stainless Steel Whip
    0.00%
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

remember everyone is on channel 9
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

I will be nice, what knobs are on it? No your car antenna will not work it probably can not be plugged into the back of the cb
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

no, i have the stock cb coax with the magnetic antenna, i unscrewed the stock antenna and screwed on the car antenna. it all fits together but will it transmit correctly?

http://www.rigpix.com/cbfreeband/cobra_29wxnwst.jpg

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

where did you unscrew the antenna from the back of the radio or outside the car?
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

outside, i unscrewed it from my fender and just switched the antenna's around. and heres a clear shot of the cobra 29

http://image.4wdandsportutility.com/...+faceplate.jpg

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

ok anything plugged into the back of the cb?
              2001 wj tbd
              1974 5 ton

Comment

yes, the antenna cable is plugged into the back of the cb, the cable runs up to my roof when my magnetic antenna base is stuck to, i unscrewed the antenna part and swaped it with my jeep antenna

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

so this is my original cb antenna that is currently being used as a fm radio antenna.

this is the antenna base that is hooked up to my cb, and ran up to my roof

and this is my current setup, using the original jeep antenna screwed onto the base

will this "custom" cb antenna work correctly in getting the right reception?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

i don't think so. You cant tune that type of antenna. Most CB antennas, you have to tune them to a certain SWR , or the CB WONT work to its full potential. .

My old CB, I was able to talk to my friend over 10 miles away over shitty hills and valleys, and it was real clear and tuned. My new CB is tweaked and peaked and I should be able to transmit farther than normal.

Comment

For comparison, my CB antenna is 4 feet high.

Comment

yea i understand, my cb has a built in swr calibration knob which allows me to calibrate it. Recently all ive been getting is all static even when i adjust my squelch.

what type of antenna do you have? a firestik?

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

yeah, a firestik.

I dont think that your jeep antenna was designed to transmit and receive that frequency designed for CB's. It sure as heck wasnt designed to transmit, just receive. I would look into a firestik if i were you. Before the firestik i had just a radioshack 20 dollar special and it was good,

Comment

i was looking into a firestik along with a 20 ft coax, that i was going to mount to my spare tire swing. ill just switch my two antenna's back.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

google and naxja both will have really good info on setting up your CB correctly. Done right and you should be able to transmit and recieve for miles. Its fun bullshitting with truckers on long trips.

Comment

Working...
                              X