D60 or 14bolt rear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D60 or 14bolt rear

Ok. So I have been talking with Mike, and he has a rear fullfloat D60 with 3.55 gears. I currently have a 14 bolt rear, with 4.10 gears. He wants to trade me the D60 for the 14bolt. But we all know how devious Mike Ruggieri can be. Since I am kinda new to the whole 1 ton build up, I know about axles, but my knowledge is limited. Is this a fair trade or no? Should cash come into play as well? Is it worth it?

14 bolt is out of late 70's Chevy K30
    D60 I believe is out of a Dodge 3500

I sold him my front D60, with 4.10s. and he wanted to just throw this one under his YJ as well and not have to gear. I am regearing to 4.56s anyway when I get my front 60. So which axle is the better idea?

Poll does not include NASCAR, because I would like to keep most the bullshit out of the thread. At least until I actually figure out what to do, then let the shenanigans fly!!!
    Yes
    50.00%
    No
    50.00%
    Last edited by hippie metal; 11-20-2009, 02:04 PM.
    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
    didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
    Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
    he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
    Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
    i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

you should fight mike
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
      you should fight mike
      been there done that. lost

next

Comment

im a dana60 fan

both are stronger than you will ever need on 37's

BUT bore out the spindles on the 60 and run 35 spline alloys. 30 spline 60 shafts are the same as a super35 shaft or a stock 44 shaft.

i guess ill say im a 60 fan due to the more aftermarket, and you can swap parts from the rear 60's into front 60's if you have the choice.
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

ill elaborate

stock for stock the 14 will kick that 60's ass

but built up the 60 has more advatanges imo

and 14 bolts weigh about a billiondy tons as a 60 will weigh only 3/4 a billiondy

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post

and 14 bolts weigh about a billiondy tons as a 60 will weigh only 3/4 a billiondy
            moot point in a FSJ?
            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
              moot point in a FSJ?
              yea

that thing is a lead sled as it is

Comment

welll.... i love this topic. like sam said unless the 60 is 35 spline the 14 bolt is much better stock. dont even think of running the drums and go with disks. ull loose over a hundred pounds. shave that stupid lip off the bottom and the clearne diffrence is minimal. also the 14 bolt is cake to gear and has an extra pinion support for even more strength. all together i prolly have 800 into my 14 bolt. to build the 60 that strong u need a machine shop to bore the spindles. u gotta run a 35 spline locker and fany shafts. also a detroit for the 14 bolt is 400... so unless ya wana spend bookoo bucks on the 60 i would suggest the 14 bolt....
                Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                some people choose video games
                some choose projects
                some choose welding random things together

Comment

Not that my opinion is worth half a shit, but if I did it over again I would have gone with a 14bolt.

No need to bore the spindles, and the stock 35spl shafts are perfectly fine to run 37's on. That saves you monies not needing to buy alloys from the start.

You can also shave a 14bolt fairly easy and gain back the lost clearance.

Loose the drums with a disk brake swap and you also shave a shit ton of weight.

Comment

tech forum, moved
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Thanks adwin

Comment

14 bolt all da way. Stronger, cheaper, and is a chevy axle. Everything better was already said. Why do you think he wants to trade?

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
                          14 bolt all da way. Stronger, cheaper, and is a chevy axle. Everything better was already said. Why do you think he wants to trade?
                          already geared to what he wants, he would take a 4.10 60 in trade hes just too lazy to regear
                          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                          2001 wj tbd
                          1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                            welll.... i love this topic. like sam said unless the 60 is 35 spline the 14 bolt is much better stock. dont even think of running the drums and go with disks. ull loose over a hundred pounds. shave that stupid lip off the bottom and the clearne diffrence is minimal. also the 14 bolt is cake to gear and has an extra pinion support for even more strength. all together i prolly have 800 into my 14 bolt. to build the 60 that strong u need a machine shop to bore the spindles. u gotta run a 35 spline locker and fany shafts. also a detroit for the 14 bolt is 400... so unless ya wana spend bookoo bucks on the 60 i would suggest the 14 bolt....
                            I'm with you on this one, for the reasons you already stated.
                            You're a ___________

Comment

keep the 14bolt with the 35spline it's a bit stronger than the 60

Comment

Working...
                              X