Bit off more than I can chew?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit off more than I can chew?

I'm doing my 8.25 brakes for the first time. I can't seem to find a good write up. I'm fucking stuck. Any hints or write-ups? This can't be as hard as it looks.
    -Matt
    Facebook

get yourself some brake spring pliers

and only do one side at a time so you can check the opposite side to make sure you are putting everything in the right place.
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Exactly what sam said, its not bad to do just dont competely strip both sides at once

Comment

I found this

http://www.4x4xplor.com/drum-brakes.html

I'm currently at a dealership my dad works at and I'm using their lift, and a mechanic left me his spring pliers when he went home. The other guys here won't give me the time of day. I think I got this though, the write up and knowing how to use these spring pliers. I tried using the wrong end for about 10 minutes.
        -Matt
        Facebook

Comment

Looks about right, all it really is is taking all the springs off, balanceing the new pads in there so you can put the new springs in

Comment

Yeah this is a lot easier than I though 10 minutes ago. I've got this down. The guys here just got of work and offered assistance too, which was nice. But I think I got this. Tome to go shop for new drums, shoes, and hardware.
            -Matt
            Facebook

Comment

Get a haynes manual. The first time I did drums on my old jeep I used that and now I can do it with my eyes closed.
              -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

just make sure u put shoes on in right spots lager shoes on the back side!

Comment

.. You're kidding? The guy at the Store said smaller In the back... I just spent 4 hours doing one side. I hope you are kidding.
                  -Matt
                  Facebook

Comment

And how do I adjust these things? The knew adjuster isn't as Long as the old one(it has to be unscrewed more). How far do I adjust this?

Lastly, I have these springs that I can't find a spot for. My old brakes didn't have them and the write up didn't include them.

what is on bottom ? Top Is shoe spring
                    -Matt
                    Facebook

Comment

And how do I adjust these things? The knew adjuster isn't as Long as the old one(it has to be unscrewed more). How far do I adjust this?

Lastly, I have these springs that I can't find a spot for. My old brakes didn't have them and the write up didn't include them.

what is on bottom ? Top Is shoe spring
                      -Matt
                      Facebook

Comment

You old brakes proably had them. I dont know off the top of my head where they go. The bottom spring might be for the top of the brake shoes.
                        2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
                        1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

im glad you are not in my state

Comment

The larger shoe is the primary and goes in the back. Don't listen to an AutismZone employee.

Comment

It was car quest lol. And the mechanic told me the same thing? FUCK.

I totally didn't research enough before doing this.
                              -Matt
                              Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X