Removing the foil from the floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing the foil from the floor

I've scraped the foil from my XJs interior floor to begin prep for painting and maybe durabac prior to installing the ZJ seats.

My question is - What solvent works best at removing the black gummy crap?

Originally posted by Dogman View Post
    I've scraped the foil from my XJs interior floor to begin prep for painting and maybe durabac prior to installing the ZJ seats.

My question is - What solvent works best at removing the black gummy crap?
    I herculined the floor in my Toyota, and I found that the best thing to do is attack that shit first thing in the morning or late at night, and the colder outside the better so it becomes harder and more brittle. I tried every solvent I could think of, and finally just hammer and chiseled it out. It is nasty and a shitty job to do and it is time consuming. After that, a angle grinder with a wire wheel should knock off what is left.
    You're a ___________

Comment

the stuff they use to seal seams n stuff towards the back? (fenderwell area and whatnot)

i would just leave that.

if its something else brakleen pretty much will melt most gooey stuff away.
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Patches of foil that are on the floor boards that are stuck on with black gooey stuff - like a rubberized tar.

Well, I took a scraper to it already and got more than half of it off. I figured a solvent might dissolve it but if the wire wheel is the way to go, then so be it. I'll hit it with a wheel tomorrow.

I'll try some brake cleaner first - then hit it with the wheel.

Thanks
        Last edited by Dogman; 10-21-2009, 04:52 PM.

Comment

sounds like someone put down a cheap sound deadening at one paint and time (tar based). honestly i'd just rough it up and liner over it, otherwise try using brakeclean, aircraft stripper <- do not get on skin, it will burn..... or kerosene ...
          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
          eliminator MJ - Sold
          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by Dogman View Post
            Patches of foil that are on the floor boards that are stuck on with black gooey stuff - like a rubberized tar.

Well, I took a scraper to it already and got more than half of it off. I figured a solvent might dissolve it but if the wire wheel is the way to go, then so be it. I'll hit it with a wheel tomorrow.

I'll try some brake cleaner first - then hit it with the wheel.

Thanks
            Try the chisel or a good scraper that holds replaceable razor blades before the wire wheel though.
            You're a ___________

Comment

I got the black gooey shit off with a putty knife and a hammer and it literally took me maybe 15 mins max. There will still be a little residue left but you can sand that down.

It's cold out now so it should be a little easier.
              Last edited by Even; 10-21-2009, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Your XJ still has remnants of a floor in it? Mine rotted to shit.
                06 Wrangler TJ 6 Speed 4" Rough Country Lift on BF Goodrich 33's.

Comment

The areas under the foil are like brand new and shiny white....the other areas have plenty of rust.

Comment

if its the black rubbery tar shit i think it is, spray it with glass cleaner and then just peal it off. Is it like buetal tape?
                    You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

Didn't get to it today - maybe over the weekend. Was dissassembling a '99 XJ Limited today

Comment

Try dry ice

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...ie-Contrerars/
                        RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                        www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                        Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

dont take that stuff off. its sound deadening and will gain you nothing but more noise by taking it off.
                          2 tj's
                          3 yj's
                          2 xj's
                          i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Working...
                          X