Some WJ Setup trackbar and steering questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some WJ Setup trackbar and steering questions

As I'm starting to amass the necessary components, I find myself having many choices....

Trackbar:
    do I go ahead and buy the $200+ JKS builder kit for my straight trackbar,
    or do I grab some tube and build my own. Then that raises the question, what joints/bushings do I need? Would heims be ok? Or is the uniball joint/rubber bushing the way to go.

Then on to steering:
    do I reuse the tube from the WJ, and cut and sleeve them to length?
    Or do I but something like this http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...its_c_113.html
    and agin, do I go chevy ends or heims.

I just want a point in the right direction. The jeep will hopefully be street legal, but won't be driven on pavement to often, so gimme some advice
    dirty30

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
    As I'm starting to amass the necessary components, I find myself having many choices....

Trackbar:
    or do I grab some tube and build my own. Then that raises the question, what joints/bushings do I need? Would heims be ok? Or is the uniball joint/rubber bushing the way to go.

Then on to steering:
    Or do I but something like this http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/...its_c_113.html

I just want a point in the right direction. The jeep will hopefully be street legal, but won't be driven on pavement to often, so gimme some advice
    i would never modify WJ links to use, if you need new lengths, go custom lengths of DOM.

and IMO get chevy ends, available EVERYWHERE
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Trackbar:

Then on to steering:

forget the jks style

its a lame single shear setup

jks fanboys on jeepforum like them, but thats jeepforum.

build a nice double shear trackbar. I would prefer a hard joint to rubber as i go through a rubber bushing every 6 months or so on 36's. but how important is noise isolation to you? a sloppy heim will still have less play in it than a good rubber bushing.

as fo sturrin. the wj stuff is pretty beef especially compared to stock xj stuff .the tie rod would be fine all the steering will bolt to the xj (wether modification will be needed for the drag link i do not know). I wouldnt hesitate to run it as is if you are on a budget. but if you can, do otk chebby wonton for like 200 bucks.
      Last edited by Ktmracer419; 10-20-2009, 11:43 AM.
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

WJ stuff works fine, you just have to cut off the stock sway bar link mount on the axle. the stock UTK WJ tie rod is also decently high as it is, and can be run OTK with the inserts. i wouldnt hesitate to run a nice heim joint for ends either. since the chevy ends like to wear out quickly. but yea, stock WJ ends are pretty beef all things considered.

Comment

Sam: I have the double shear upper mount so I'm set for that, and as for noise isolation I'm not too worried, if it meant a more durable set up then I'm down, also heims are pretty easy to work with. Square tube trackbar?

Will: the only reason I bring up the wj links is I have em already, and the knucks are already for them. But you're assumption about hein availabilty is a good one, I might just fork over the cash and order a ballistic kit for crossover, 220~ and I'll have beef steerin that in the unlikely event it fails will be easy to replace. What would I need to run the chevy ends otk?
          dirty30

Comment

Adam: I never actually asked but are the wj links that right size? I just assumed they weren't
            dirty30

Comment

Sam: I have the double shear upper mount so I'm set for that, and as for noise isolation I'm not too worried, if it meant a more durable set up then I'm down, also heims are pretty easy to work with. Square tube trackbar?

Will: the only reason I bring up the wj links is I have em already, and the knucks are already for them. But you're assumption about hein availabilty is a good one, I might just fork over the cash and order a ballistic kit for crossover, 220~ and I'll have beef steerin that in the unlikely event it fails will be easy to replace. What would I need to run the chevy ends otk?
              the fact chevy ends are available everywhere has been a godsend to me on a few occasions (this being opposed to heims, not necessarily stock WJ components) and i meant chevy ends only if you used DOM links, otherwise u need to use WJ ends. the wj links are nice, but if u need to modify for whatever reason, id go dom (and chevy ends)

to run OTK u need to ream for OTK, haha...basically so long as your trackbar is parallel with the draglink, youre go flight..aka over the axle
              - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
              or am asians pants not a read end lol.
              Originally posted by DizzDizz
              aliens probed my husband

Comment

Adam: I never actually asked but are the wj links that right size? I just assumed they weren't
                the WJ D30 is barely 1.5" wider than a XJ D30, and with the spacers and new hubs you gain like .75" width, so its only a .75" difference IIRC. as far as the length of the TR and DL go. im pretty sure starboardM on naxja used WJ links... or someone definitely did on either JF or naxja.. i had the link saved on my old dell.

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                  the WJ D30 is barely 1.5" wider than a XJ D30, and with the spacers and new hubs you gain like .75" width, so its only a .75" difference IIRC. as far as the length of the TR and DL go. im pretty sure starboardM on naxja used WJ links... or someone definitely did on either JF or naxja.. i had the link saved on my old dell.
                  So in reality I could probably just adjust out the differenece without having to cut and sleve the tie rod?

Just wondering cuz while I'm enticed with thoughts of chevy one tons and 3/4" heims, I already have an paid for the wj stuff

as Sam so eloquently put it, I'm on a budget....
                  dirty30

Comment

yea, itll all bolt right up. actually, now that i think of it, the WJ tie rods are actually angled so you can use the sway bar links. i think. but no one uses those things anyway. just run like that til you can afford to upgrade if you want, but the WJ stuff is pretty beefy as is, its on par with the ZJ upgrade for us XJ dudes, and the ends are waay more beef than stock XJ ones.

Comment

Yeah, I'm thinking stickin with the wj stuff for now would be a decent idea, that way I won't be stretching to buy the rest o what I need
                      dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                        WJ stuff works fine, you just have to cut off the stock sway bar link mount on the axle. the stock UTK WJ tie rod is also decently high as it is, and can be run OTK with the inserts. i wouldnt hesitate to run a nice heim joint for ends either. since the chevy ends like to wear out quickly. but yea, stock WJ ends are pretty beef all things considered.
                        chevy ends dont like to wear quickly in my experience. im on the same ones since i built my steering. and before that the stock waggy tre's are the same as chebby wonton and those never wore out.

?
                        square tube is gay

to run otk wonton you need to drill it out and ream em'

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                          chevy ends dont like to wear quickly in my experience. im on the same ones since i built my steering. and before that the stock waggy tre's are the same as chebby wonton and those never wore out.
                          whatever banditt put on my steering sucked. the 3 ends that went poop have been replaced with moogs for meow.

Comment

But square stock is cheap

is there a way to use the wj links in an otk setup? I thought I heard mention that the wj ends use an odd taper
                            dirty30

Comment

But square stock is cheap

is there a way to use the wj links in an otk setup? I thought I heard mention that the wj ends use an odd taper
                              if you can find em you can run flip inserts

Comment

Working...
                              X