Tranny cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny cooler

Anyone install a tranny cooler on a 99ish cherokee with an automatic..I wanna put the cooler inline before it goes into the radiator, so my question is..is the tranny line on the top of the radiator the oil going in..or coming out?
    98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

ah shit, they changed it like twice depending on the here. i was told on mine it was one, but it ended up being the other. best bet is to just pop a hose off, start the truck, throw it in gear and if it spits or sucks.

that sounded dirrty. hehe.

Comment

Usually in is on the bottom so it pushes the air out. Only way to know for sure is to do what XJLI said or look up the tranny, does that have the AW4?

most of the time they put the axillary cooler after the radiator, the water cools the oil down faster than the air, so you get the initial drop in temp then you get extra from the air. If not you might end up warming the trany fluid back up to engine temp.

Another good mod for the AW4 cooler lines are to replace the push in line fittings with AN screw on fittings ask Sam he had one pop out in the comp.
      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

ill check to see where ive run mine when i get home.

96 xj. i did it after the radiatah
        www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
          Usually in is on the bottom so it pushes the air out. Only way to know for sure is to do what XJLI said or look up the tranny, does that have the AW4?

most of the time they put the axillary cooler after the radiator, the water cools the oil down faster than the air, so you get the initial drop in temp then you get extra from the air. If not you might end up warming the trany fluid back up to engine temp.

Another good mod for the AW4 cooler lines are to replace the push in line fittings with AN screw on fittings ask Sam he had one pop out in the comp.
          i have no idea what caused that. and it happened a few times. but after those few times all was good.

i couldnt find the right fittings so i gave up and carried spare tranny line parts

Comment

Alright, im hearing other places the the top line is the pressure line. And since winter is coming up I do want to put it before the radiator so that its not too cold..Then prob reverse it for the summer.
            98 Cherokee, D30/8.25 w/4.56s locked F/R -- 3 link front IRO springs rear with shackle relocation, one ton steering w/heims, hybrid cage under contruction, 33'' KM2's

Comment

Summitracing carries the fittings it took me a while to find the right fittings because they are metric.

But replacement stock ones are only $9 a good warranty.
              RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:
              Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

i carry spare o rings, fittings, "kwik" connects and whatnot now. and i have a spare set of tranny lines waiting at home for when these decide to fail lol.

they run like 25-28 bucks each per line. pretty cheap and can be found at rockauto/com or napa autoparts for anyone who might need to know.

Comment

Originally posted by customcreationsllc View Post
                  Summitracing carries the fittings it took me a while to find the right fittings because they are metric.

But replacement stock ones are only $9 a good warranty.
                  isnt it a metric pipe thread?

heck, do know know offhand what the size is or maybe have a link (i doubt they have such an obscure part on the intranet)

Comment

Not a pipe thread it is a normal thread and the O-ring does the sealing.

From the napa web site

Transmission Line Fitting

Part: BK 7304978
                    Product Line: Balkamp

List Price 13.92
                    Your Cost 8.35

Features & Benefits
                    Transmission Quick Connectors Connect Lines To Radiator, OE Exact Fit Replacement, Replaces Connectors & Clips Commonly Lost Or Damaged During Routine Repairs

Attributes
                    Transmission Line Connector Thread Size : 3/8" O.D. Tube x M14-1.5

Application Information: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
                    Comments: w/ 4 Speed Trans;To Transmission

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-670520/
                    You just need to buy an o-ring I cannot remember if it was -4 or -6 o-rings.

The fitting is AN so 37º
                    The summit 37º flaring tool is a piece of crap
                    I ended up buying 37º adapters for my hydraulic flaring tool.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5

Sponsors:

Comment

Working...
                    X