8.8 or D44

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8.8 or D44

I plan on swapping out my D35 and upgrading to one of these axles, my question is what axle setup would be best. My bro pulled an 8.88 with 3.73 gears and i could also find a 44 easy. also what setup would be easier to install.

idea's are free to flow...
    1998 2Dr Cherokee. 4.0 HO with an AX-15 5spd and NP231. Dana 30HP front and ford 8.8 rear.
    .,=====o00o ______________
    //___l__,\____\,___ ____
    l_---\____l----[]lllllll[] _
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

8.8s mean disc brakes if you have the right year. 8.8 is a c clip axle though.
    Ryan
    2013 Wrangler

Comment

Originally posted by FireFighter32 View Post
      8.8s mean disc brakes if you have the right year. 8.8 is a c clip axle though.
      Now what would be the downfall of a C-clip axle?
      1998 2Dr Cherokee. 4.0 HO with an AX-15 5spd and NP231. Dana 30HP front and ford 8.8 rear.
      //___l__,\____\,___ ____
      _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

You need to remove the cover and pull out this little "c" clip to pull the shafts out. I'm not sure of the other downfalls, I just know that they aren't as convienent as other axles. Someone here can charm in I'm sure.
        Ryan
        2013 Wrangler

Comment

i would do a d44 (and did.)

no c-clips, no flange for the driveshaft (d44 uses a yoke), comparable strength. people will argue all day long an 8.8 could feasibly run a 35.1" tire when a d44 could only tun a 35.0" tire blah blah blah...theyre basically the same, and IMO the 8.8 needs more work to be at its top potential
          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
          Originally posted by DizzDizz
          aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by 98XJ4X4 View Post
            I plan on swapping out my D35 and upgrading to one of these axles, my question is what axle setup would be best. My bro pulled an 8.88 with 3.73 gears and i could also find a 44 easy. also what setup would be easier to install.

idea's are free to flow...
            8.8 has more potential as far as strength is concerned, but it also requires fab work to install.

You can find a D44 from a 87-89 xj and it will be a direct swap.

If you don't plan on going bigger than 35's a D44 would be plenty strong. You could probably run up to a 37 successfully on an 8.8.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
              i would do a d44 (and did.)

no c-clips, no flange for the driveshaft (d44 uses a yoke), comparable strength. people will argue all day long an 8.8 could feasibly run a 35.1" tire when a d44 could only tun a 35.0" tire blah blah blah...theyre basically the same, and IMO the 8.8 needs more work to be at its top potential
              now with any d44 would the mounts need to be modded in order to fit into an XJ ?
              //___l__,\____\,___ ____
              _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

built to shit vs built to shit the 8.8 has the edge.

and by built to shit i mean largest diameter alloy shafts, full case locker, truss, good gears.

dana44 can run 33 and 35 spline shafts, but in my humble opinion 30 spline shafts is the max you would want to run on one, anything larger and you are looking at ring and pinion carnage as the weak point.

stock for stock though, dana44 kicks some ass.

reason being: a chain is only as strong as its weakest link, and the 8.8 has a crappy carrier and also is prone to spinning tubes.
                www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

now with any d44 would the mounts need to be modded in order to fit into an XJ ?
                  dana44's came in a billiondy different vehicles. the only one i know of that shares the lug pattern and width you want is the ones found in xj's,mj's and tj's

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                    dana44's came in a billiondy different vehicles. the only one i know of that shares the lug pattern and width you want is the ones found in xj's,mj's and tj's
                    I have a 98 xj, Now if i found a d44 from a yj or tj, i could basically bolt it right in. right?
                    //___l__,\____\,___ ____
                    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

I have a 98 xj, Now if i found a d44 from a yj or tj, i could basically bolt it right in. right?
                      no, only bolt in is an XJ44, the others require work
                      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

IIRC yjs did not come with 44s even if they did they would be spring under. TJ's 44s are setup for coil rear. So to put one in you would need to cut all the brackets off. Find one out off a 80's cherokee or a wagoneer the waggy 44's are bolt in minus the shock mounts.

I prefer the 8.8's myself. There is a huge aftermarket for them. Depending what year you get you can have 31 spline axles and disc brakes. The 8.8 involves cutting old perches off, setting pinion angle welding new perches on. They do have regular yokes for it to eliminate the flanges. Ruff stuff specialties has a complete swap kit for 100 dollars.

Have you looked into the 29 spline 8.25?
                        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                        2001 wj tbd
                        1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post
                          waggy 44's are bolt in minus the shock mounts.
                          and 6 lug vs 5 lug. which is a big turn off for peeps not interested in a 44 front yet

Comment

Originally posted by Cletus View Post

I prefer the 8.8's myself. There is a huge aftermarket for them. Depending what year you get you can have 31 spline axles and disc brakes. The 8.8 involves cutting old perches off, setting pinion angle welding new perches on. They do have regular yokes for it to eliminate the flanges. Ruff stuff specialties has a complete swap kit for 100 dollars.
                            factory 44s have a complete swap kit/perch kit pre installed from the factory
                            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                              factory 44s have a complete swap kit/perch kit pre installed from the factory
                              complete with rinky dink spring perches and low clurrance shock mounts

Comment

Working...
                              X