Might go Limited Slip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Might go Limited Slip

Here's the deal. I found a 8.25 in a '99 XJ with a factory limited slip so then I'm assuming it has 3.73 gears. I can pull the carrier for super cheap. I can take the whole axle for a reasonable price. I don't have $$ to regear my D30 so installing the whole axle isn't viable in the short term and I'd like to go more towards 4.56 next summer anyways.

Questions:

What's involved with pulling the carrier and installing it in my XJ with 3.55 gears? Any problems?

Is there a carrier break/size difference in there somewhere?

What additional parts would I need? Is this something a novice should be doing?

What don't I know that I need to know about this?

I realize what a new lunch box locker costs and I'm sure many of you would suggest going that route and getting an Aussie....but entertain my idea instead for now please.

I'm not set on doing this but if I can do the work myself with my limited skills and keep the cost down I may go for it.

It would basically be a whole regear if you tok the carrier and stuff out and that would not be worht the money. Your better off getting an aussie and then saving up for a regear in the summer or w/e.
    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

not worth it, factory LS is junk anyways
      "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Just put in a lunchbox locker and call it a day.
        You're a ___________

Comment

pulling the carriers on them are a pain in the ass they need a special tool to set them. factory lsd's are garbage, get a lunch box locker instead
          1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Dogman View Post
            Here's the deal. I found a 8.25 in a '99 XJ with a factory limited slip so then I'm assuming it has 3.73 gears.
            not likely

3.07s if it was a standard or 3.55's if it was an auto. there were no other options that year unless it was regeared later down the road
            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

OK - so it doesn't sound like its worth the effort.

I figured 3.73 since it came with the tow package.

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                not likely

3.07s if it was a standard or 3.55's if it was an auto. there were no other options that year unless it was regeared later down the road
                nah son 3.73s came with the tow package.

Comment

Working...
                X