blowing up threaded inserts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blowing up threaded inserts

anyone else have this problem? i've gone through 3 in the past few months and this steering is two years old in a month.. replaced the entire drag link and both inserts over the summer, and blew up the insert on the long side end over the spring, didnt have a replacement at the time so we put a solid bead on the jam nut holding it to the tube. last night i cracked that weld on the street

is threaded tube more durable? and there is much less stress on the ends and inserts running the WJ setup i'd assume.. thats something i'll be looking into as well.

thoughts?

i have never had an issue

keep dem nuts tight

what steering? when i built mine i did the bead around the insert as well as a couple plug welds per side
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

i always make sure the jam juts are tight, i checked them no less than once every other week since i've gotten the steering. it was originally banditt made, the new draglink is solofab made. its nut the inserts themselves coming apart from the tube, the threads inside are going to shit. its lame. and i just filled up the tank in the jeep in prep for adventures and the subaru is on E need to get a siphon.

Comment

had my banditt wonton for alittle over a year now, and have had absolutely no problems with it.
        No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
        Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Depending on how you welded it you may have over heated the metal and made it brittle. HAZ owns you.

Comment

do you run that delrin spacer or rubba or poly?

if you run the hard shit at each end in theory the rod ends wont be able to work properly and will cause stress wherever it can in the link.

Comment

im running the JCR poly thingamahoozits

Comment

I know Will pulled the TRE right out of the tie rod but other then that you shouldn't be bowing them up like that.
                I don't always drink orange juice, but when I do, I prefer to chew it. #madpulp

Comment

Originally posted by ninetysix-ex-jay View Post
                  I know Will pulled the TRE right out of the tie rod but other then that you shouldn't be bowing them up like that.
                  every single time i saw his steering that tie rod end was loose

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                    every single time i saw his steering that tie rod end was loose
                    one time was due to my negligence (and a bent TRE, on good old inverted t)

another time was definitely not, you didnt see my steering loose on my crossover.

some things just happen

but yeah i have experienced this, (as said), one time was definitely because the jam nut would not stay tight no matter what i did unless i were to weld it (bent TRE caused this), maybe yours generated that issue

all poly spacers will do is stress the ball stud.
                    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                    Originally posted by DizzDizz
                    aliens probed my husband

Comment

sigh.

im gonna order a new insert once my paycheck comes in.

Comment

methinks something in your setup is causing the wear, there is no way it is a malfunction of the insert
                        dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                          one time was due to my negligence (and a bent TRE, on good old inverted t)

another time was definitely not, you didnt see my steering loose on my crossover.

some things just happen

but yeah i have experienced this, (as said), one time was definitely because the jam nut would not stay tight no matter what i did unless i were to weld it (bent TRE caused this), maybe yours generated that issue

all poly spacers will do is stress the ball stud.
                          IM pretty sure everytime I have been around HM something with the steering has caused a kink in our ventures
                          You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

Originally posted by Saharicon View Post
                            IM pretty sure everytime I have been around HM something with the steering has caused a kink in our ventures
                            well this would have some weight to it if you had actually wheeled more than a couple times

my steering has been a problem once while off road when you were not present, the first time it was on-road. so perhaps youre on crack
                            - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                            or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                            Originally posted by DizzDizz
                            aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
                              well this would have some weight to it if you had actually wheeled more than a couple times

my steering has actually never broken or been a problem at rausch or anywhere ive wheeled with you
                              THAT IS A COMPLETE LIE! I can specfically remember sitting on the side of PA roads tightening your steering, I didnt say it was a problem.

and I have wheeled more than a couple times fawk ass! Take it to the debate thread if you got sumthin to say son
                              You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

Working...
                              X