X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airbag light

What would cause this to come on?
    Is it egg nog season yet?

A fault in the airbag or cars safety system.
    You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

Comment

It came on flying down the merrit.
      Then as I approached my destination it shut back off.
      I stepped out...
      Punched my steering wheel to see if it would go off...
      It didn't.

Comment

see if your horn and if you have cruise control work. If they do see if it does it agian and then check your horn then. Could be the clock sping is going bad.

Comment

I do have a horn, And it works.
          I don't have cruise control.
          If it doesn't do it again, do I just chalk it up as nothing.

Comment

Its really common in older cars, its normally the clock spring or in Mopar cars there is a "pigtail" wire connector somewhere in the dash that connects your insturments. It could just be corrision or dirty connector. I personally wouldnt worry about. When the light is on it means your airbag is disabled.

Airbags actually worry me, I know they are good in some cases, but I was on I70 in maryland once doing about 85 at night trying to get to my base and TWO deer ran out in front of me and I hit them both destroying the front of my car. I had this problem in that car so I disabled the air bag. I believe if I hadnt and the air bag went off I would of died. I was right at the crest of a mountain with a big turn going down. If the airbag went off I wouldnt have been able to see and at that speed I would of went off the side of the mountain or into uncomming traffic or slammed into the huge bridge barriers right at the top.

Comment

I'd prefer it be disabled as well for similar reasons. No past events, just a slight fear of how deadly they are.

Comment

I second what cody said.... clock spring or fault in your air bag system

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

As long as fault doesn't mean "gonna deploy at random and kill me."
                  Im cool without a airbag.

Comment

they are usually clock springs but it might also be a sensor.
                    throw a scanner on it and find out. I don't know if mine will read air bag codes.
                    Most garages will help you out.

To disable the air bags on the XJs there is a little round cover on the top of the steering wheel pop the cover off and there is a 10mm head bolt in there back it all the way out until it stops.
                    Good to do before wheeling, I know Sam enjoyed the smoke show during the comp.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

If it comes back on, ill look into it further.. I just went on and back off. Just wanted to see if anyone thought it was going to deploy at random.
                      Thanks guys,

Comment

kind of off topic, but are there sensors for airbag mounted in front of the jeep somewhere or is it just a force meter type switch that sets them off ? I've hit a boulder hard enough to crack my 3/6" boxed front bumper and bend it back like 4" and airbags didnt do anything... also had a commanche rear end me at 45mph bending my 1/4" rear bumper mounts and nothing

up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                        eliminator MJ - Sold
                        99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                        Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Working...
                        X