Did my u-joints today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did my u-joints today

so today i upgraded from 5-297 u-joints to the 5-760's. took way longer than i expected but got it done. once i pulled the shafts i realized getting the u-joints out was going to quite the nightmare, alot of pounding later, a ball joint press clamp thing, an acetylene torch, a 5 foot piece of DOM and 4 people holding it we were able to free all the joints and press them out. new 760's pressed in real easy and suprising i didnt damage the shafts. whole thing reassembled in about a half an hour. happy with how it worked out i'll post pics later.
    No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
    Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

what were you useing/how were you taking them out. I had to take u-jounts out of a 1978 axle and those were in the worst shape you've ever scene an it took me 10 minutes
    1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepbonehead View Post
      what were you useing/how were you taking them out. I had to take u-jounts out of a 1978 axle and those were in the worst shape you've ever scene an it took me 10 minutes
      i bet ive seen worse.

so bad the u joints fell out. took me about 12 seconds
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepbonehead View Post
        ive had to cut ujoints out of a 7 month old tom woods shaft.

not always so black and white
        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
        Originally posted by DizzDizz
        aliens probed my husband

Comment

they were the original u-joints, with 14 years of mud and shit caked to them... took only a couple minutes to get the retainer clip things off. then we had ball joint remover thing, basically a c clamp with an open ring on one end. it was supposed to be made for u joint removal too. but without a workbench or a vice, there were like 3 of us holding the shafts while someone else tightened it with a breaker bar with a 5 ft piece of DOM for leverage. even then it was quite the fight and the acetylene torch made it alittle easier. one of the joints the caps broke which was another pain. my dads friend is an automechanic and came over to help later in the day and he said that he'd never seen u-joints that that frozen before. of course. that is everything on my jeep, it just likes to be a pain in my ass

ForSure Motorsports
          Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

vice and hammer ftw

sometimes i had to use a sledge to get em to budge
            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
              vice and hammer ftw

sometimes i had to use a sledge to get em to budge
              i was trying to avoid the sledge as much as possible. i was trying really hard not to damage the shafts

ForSure Motorsports
              Win or Lose, We Booze.

Comment

I like cutting the cross section right where the bottom of the u-joint cap meets. The caps tap right out and I never have to worry about messing up the ears of the shaft.
                88 YJ...kinda. Clayton Hard Arms, V8, 1 tons w/Detroits, twin sticked T-18/NP205, Irok's, MasterCrafts, fuel cell, multi-colored

Comment

i like torching them out, nice and easy.however im sure its not the best idea though....usually a vise and a hammer works

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Working...
                  X