Regearing the Wagoneer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regearing the Wagoneer

I want to regear the Grand Wagoneer after I take care of some other things, maybe around the spring time, but I do not know what to regear the Axles to. D44 low pinion front and AMC-20 rear with 33" tires. As they sit, the gear ratio is 2.72 but I have no idea which ratio I should change it to. The Transmission is 3 speed with NO overdriver, so I was thinking maybe 3.55 would be too much, maybe just regear to 3.07, but I'm not sure. That, and I might have to see which gear ratios are even available for the AMC20 rear.

Any help would be appreciated.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Id say 3.55 3.07 in my opinion is hardly worth even gearing to

Comment

I would go with a 3.07 just to keep whatever highway speeds you want and it will also help low end. I feel like 3.55 may be too far but 3.07 would not be enough though.....maybe there is something in between?

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

the difference between 2.72 and 3.07 isnt very substantial at all..

here are your options
        http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/catal...470_496_23_411

pretty typical
        - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
        or am asians pants not a read end lol.
        Originally posted by DizzDizz
        aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
          I want to regear the Grand Wagoneer after I take care of some other things, maybe around the spring time, but I do not know what to regear the Axles to. D44 low pinion front and AMC-20 rear with 33" tires. As they sit, the gear ratio is 2.72 but I have no idea which ratio I should change it to. The Transmission is 3 speed with NO overdriver, so I was thinking maybe 3.55 would be too much, maybe just regear to 3.07, but I'm not sure. That, and I might have to see which gear ratios are even available for the AMC20 rear.

Any help would be appreciated.

Here's some help. Throw that shit out and put some wontons in.

But seriously, the grand waggy is just begging for a 60/14 combo with some big meats. What t-case is in that beast?
          You're a ___________

Comment

Well, according to those options I could do 331 or 354...hurm...

I almost want to do the 331s only because I don't have overdrive..I dunno though.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Phil View Post
              Well, according to those options I could do 331 or 354...hurm...

I almost want to do the 331s only because I don't have overdrive..I dunno though.
              I vote 331

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

In that case i vote 3.31 as well

Comment

Are you going to drive it on the highway or what? i.e. what is this thing's intended purpose?
                  You're a ___________

Comment

Originally posted by Danksters View Post
                    Are you going to drive it on the highway or what? i.e. what is this thing's intended purpose?
                    I'll be wheeling this and driving it to the trail, so yeah, I do need it to reach highway speeds. I have the XJ though, so this will not be a daily driver by any means, but I don't want the drive to the trail feel like I have 5 anchors flailing out of the hatch. I would like some of what little power that engine puts out now that is has 33s on it.
                    sigpic

Comment

wats the ratio in third gear?

Comment

Originally posted by XJtheXtremeJeep View Post
                        wats the ratio in third gear?
                        I don't know transmissions well enough to know.
                        sigpic

Comment

looking at the ratio chart i would say 3.55 would put you right around 2500 rpm at 70 mph with 33's

Comment

third is 1:1 lol easy enough

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/calculators/

Play around with that till you hit a happy rpm number

Comment

Shifting from a 2.72 to a 3.31 increases your ring and pinion reduction by 21.69 %. What are your current highway rpm's at 60 mph?

So multiply your current rpms by 1.2619 to get your new rpms w/ 3.31's.
                              You're a ___________

Comment

Working...
                              X