Tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire question

I had picked up some 15x8 steelies for real cheep from a buddy of mine and i need to wrap them in rubber, my question is what would be a good on/off road tire that provides traction and smoothness. ideas are free to flow.
    1998 2Dr Cherokee. 4.0 HO with an AX-15 5spd and NP231. Dana 30HP front and ford 8.8 rear.
    .,=====o00o ______________
    //___l__,\____\,___ ____
    l_---\____l----[]lllllll[] _
    _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

well what do you want? Mud terrain = less good on pavement, louder, wears faster, but better offroad.

All terrain = better on the street than a mud, quieter, lasts longer, not as good as a mud offroad.

Those are just some generalizations they don't apply to all tires, but its something to think about .
    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
    1999 sierra
    1967 M725 Big and Slow
    -Dan

Comment

This really depends on how much wheeling you plan on doing. If you only plan on going a few times a year you would probably be better off with an all terrain.

If you plan on seeing any sort of moderate wheeling time, I think the benefits of a good mud terrain outweight the downfalls. Most quality radial mud terrains are virtually invisible on the street, get great tread life (~40k), and perform great off road.

If you spring for an all terrain, the BFG A/T is by far the best seller in that category.

If you go for a M/T, check out:
      -Cooper STT
      -BFG KM2
      -Goodyear MT/R w/ kevlar
      -Toyo Open Country M/T
      -Mickey Thompson MTZ

Comment

i plan on wheelin on the weekend and then maybe on the week but maybe its just better to get all-terrains, i like the general AT2, ill keep lookin around.

thanx for the input.
        1998 2Dr Cherokee. 4.0 HO with an AX-15 5spd and NP231. Dana 30HP front and ford 8.8 rear.
        .,=====o00o ______________
        //___l__,\____\,___ ____
        l_---\____l----[]lllllll[] _
        _(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_)

Comment

ran the AT2 for a while on my suburban. I have nothing bad to say about em. I loved em. They were cheap, held up, and were great in the rain, mud, and snow.
          1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
          1999 sierra
          1967 M725 Big and Slow
          -Dan

Comment

Originally posted by 98XJ4X4 View Post
            i plan on wheelin on the weekend and then maybe on the week but maybe its just better to get all-terrains, i like the general AT2, ill keep lookin around.

thanx for the input.
            I have AT2s on my Dodge and are a cheap alternative to BFG ATs. I actually like them better than the BFGs and only cost me 160 a piece for 35s

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

go with the BFG muds, they hold up just fine as long as you rotate them....

Comment

It all depends on how much you wheel in comparison to the time you will spend on the street. If you are going to see a ratio that is close to equal get the mud terrains if you are going to see a ton more time on the road then get the all terrains they will last you a ton longer and will be cheaper to acquire.
                1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                2001 wj tbd
                1974 5 ton

Comment

if you wheel at all you wont regret mud terrains

and people in town will see you and think you are a badass
                  www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

if you plan on rocks or mud, get a mud terrain. while the bfg a/t's I ran for a few months were great on the road and on snow/ice. They sucked in mud and rock's, Path's i walked through with mud terrains on (loose gravel/damp rock up hills) I couldnt even make it up with the A/T's
                    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                    eliminator MJ - Sold
                    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                      if you wheel at all you wont regret mud terrains

and people in town will see you and think you are a badass
                      This.

Comment

Proxes
                        dirty30

Comment

KM2s

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                            KM2s
                            km2's are the new tight pants
                            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
                              km2's are the new tight pants
                              i dont know if i like that feeling

i feel so "exposed"
                              www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                              X