p0171 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• p0171 help

took my jeep out the other night and it was running like garbage on the highway and bucking at idle. It felt like i had a plugged cat under load, as if there was a restriction but my cat is hollow so i know its not the exhaust. the light came on after like 20 miles of this and it was a p0171 system too lean (bank 1). under a load it cuts out as if im running out of gas. I think im gonna try running a couple fuel cleaners through it and cleaning out the sensors on the TB. any other ideas or probable causes?
    99 xj, 3" RC, 35" BFG AT red labels, custom rear bumper, SYE, armor, Hellas, waggy 44's fr+rr, 5.13's ,lunchbox lockers fr+rr, rear disk conversion,rock crusher covers frt+rr, beefy homemade 1 ton highsteer setup

what are your o2s reading? should be around .45volts or there around vacuum leaks? brake clean will find it quick fuel pressure? this actually can be a lean or rich code depending on the heat sensor, and what it is detecting and relaying to the ecu.
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

i gotta look into it more tomorrow with the scan tool but i think its more of a lack of fuel than too much air. It really feels like its not getting fuel and cutting out. shouldnt be too hard to figure out i just figured id post up and get some input.
      99 xj, 3" RC, 35" BFG AT red labels, custom rear bumper, SYE, armor, Hellas, waggy 44's fr+rr, 5.13's ,lunchbox lockers fr+rr, rear disk conversion,rock crusher covers frt+rr, beefy homemade 1 ton highsteer setup

Comment

Sounds like what just happened to my truck.

Does it idle fine????

My truck had a loose harmonic balancer which wallowed out the keyway.

It idled fine but under acceleration the timing retarded and acted like there was no fuel. it was also throughing the lean condition check o2 sensor.
        2013 F150 fx4 (Tow Pig/DD)
        • 5.0 with the 3.73 option

2003 TJ Rubicon
        • 4.0/42rle/np241or
        • 5.13's
        • 3" Savvy/Currie suspension with acos
        • 33” BFG KO2s

Comment

O2 sensors look good, im reading about .045v for the front one and .060v for the rear. I cleaned out the TB and all the attached sensors with some carb cleaner. I also fed some marvel mystery oil through the brake booster vacuum into the manifold until it spewed massive amounts of white smoke out. I tried unplugging one injector at a time to try to narrow it down to one cylinder and found no change with cylinder 6. I cleared the code and restarted it and now all i have is a cylinder 6 misfire. Im gonna run some injector cleaner through it tomorrow and check the plug and hopefully ill find something.

Comment

found a bad plug so i replaced them all, still ran like garbage so i pulled the dizzy cap off and the main contact on the rotor was broken off so i dont even know how it was running. I replaced the rotor and it still ran like crap so i replaced the cap and now it runs great. damn autolites

Comment

Working...
            X