adjustable control arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjustable control arms

Can anyone help me with the adjustment of the front contol arms? i need directions on how to adjust them correctly. my passerger side tire is out about a inch farther than the drivers side. i know i have to shorten the passenger side and maybe extend the drivers, but i cant see to find directions on how one adjustment will change the other.

Heres what they look like http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1
    God made the world in seven days, on the 7th day, he made the Le Car

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

what do you mean out an inch farther?

sticking out of the fenders?
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

use a tape measure to make sure both lowers are the same distance, and both uppers are the same distance. the lowers will be longer than the uppers

you want to make the lengths have as much thread engagement(short) as possible, while still having your tires centered in the wheel well

how long your lower arms are in relation to your upper arms will determine caster, which you want between 5-7 degrees positive caster

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
        what do you mean out an inch farther?

sticking out of the fenders?
        i believe he means the arms aren't equal in length, making the axle crooked

Comment

i would also check track bar length?

on my rear i had that problem (no track bar though)

i just measured from inside of tire to frame rail. on the side that was farther away i adjusted that upper control arm out one turn and it evened everything out.
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
            use a tape measure to make sure both lowers are the same distance, and both uppers are the same distance. the lowers will be longer than the uppers

you want to make the lengths have as much thread engagement(short) as possible, while still having your tires centered in the wheel well

how long your lower arms are in relation to your upper arms will determine caster, which you want between 5-7 degrees positive caster
            you only want the lower arms to be the same length. the uppers do not matter and need to be different to fine tune axle placement. this im positive of.
            "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Originally posted by grundlepunch View Post
              the uppers do not matter and need to be different to fine tune axle placement. this im positive of.
              i'm trying to visualize what youre talking about here

as long as all the mounts are at equal locations (can't think of a better way to say it) on the axle, it seems like the arms would be fighting eachother and cause the axle to be crooked in some way if you purposely made the uppers unequal in length

school me on this subject
              Last edited by Even; 08-11-2009, 07:28 PM.

Comment

the track bar and steering im not messing with cause i arleady need an alignment job. the uppers can be adjusted but the lowers are stiff. the passenger side upper fits in perfectly but i need more length on the drivers, if i just add the length to one side the steering will be f***d up the ass

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

you need to adjust the trackbar yourself.. an alignment shop wont touch it.

Comment

Originally posted by fullwidthxj191 View Post
                    i believe he means the arms aren't equal in length, making the axle crooked
                    yea, out of the fenders but i know why that is now, was like that without the track bar and steering hooked up

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                      you need to adjust the trackbar yourself.. an alignment shop wont touch it.
                      the ty-rod needs to get done

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Originally posted by gobigorgohome View Post
                        the ty-rod needs to get done
                        the tie rod has absolutely nothing to do with your trackbar.

Comment

im just saying, when i looked none of the steering/trackbar was hooked up. need help with control arms and then ill worry about that.

Real Jeeps have Unibodys

Comment

Sounds like its your tracbar and it not being hooked up.
                            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

why the fuck are you adjusting control arms if your trackbar isnt on? nothing will line up correctly if it isnt.
                              Last edited by XJLI; 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X