Motor mount Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor mount Question

Ok, as some of you know I sheared off 3 bolts from the motor mount block brackets in the block and cracked 2 of the studs that the bolts go into. Here is my dilemma, I was able to remove one bolt but couldn't remove the other two after about 3 hours of trying. Here are my options tell my what yhou think is best and why.

1). Pull the motor out of the jeep and keep trying to get the bolts out and possibly drilling and tapping them out and reusing stock block mounts.

2). Keep the motor in the jeep, buy M.O.R.E mounts and just use all the other bolts minus the two that sheared and if something for some reason happens again put a new motor in.

3). Or another reason i have not thought of and what it is.

THanks for the input guys, and be expecting a build thread on my jeep in the near future
    14.29%
    42.86%
    42.86%

i'd pull the motor sealup any leaks, put a fresh coat of paint on it and easyout those broken bolts, then put m.o.r.e motor mounts in. thats just my 2 cents

Comment

im not making it all pretty.... the jeeps only gonna be a trailer queen after htis or for offroad use only driving to and from trails....

Comment

you have to take the jeep apart, sell the shit and scrap the jeep. its the only way.

#becauseJoeNitro

Comment

the only reason i say paint it, is because you wouldn't want your freeze plugs to rust out and have to pull it again, paint is for protection. 2nd sealing up any leaks you might have is also a good idea as you don't wanna seize it or be adding oil all the time, these are things that will help you in the long run... if you don't wanna go threw the trouble just sell it, someone will do it....

Comment

do the second option. tis what i did on my old jeep since i didnt feel like buying a ranger.

Comment

with the motormount brackets removed you should be able to raise or lower the motor enough to work on it buy punching, and drilling into the bolts and using a bolt extractor to remove them.

Comment

I didnt anywhere mention i was gonna sell the jeep..... just saying why seal a motor that doesnt leak.... doesnt make sense to pull the motor for that

Comment

well if it doesn't leak then you're set... most 4.o's have the infamous rearmain leak or the o-rings on the oilfilter adapter.

Comment

I have a motor with a blown head gasket if you want to take it out of my garage, the bottom end is still good. Never took the head off put cylinder 3 or 4 was leaking into the coolant.

I would try harder to get the bolts out, I've gotten some difficult bolts out in the past.
                    You might need to get a 90ยบ drill to get in there, and some good easy outs.

You didn't bottom the bolts out in the block and that is why they snapped off.
                    Those are the hardest types to get off.
                    If the heads just sheared they should be relatively easy to get out.

I always drill completely through the bolt before trying to use the easy out.
                    2 reasons you can get PB blaster to the back of the threads and if you snap off the easy out you can use a punch to break it up an knock it out.

Worse come to worse just helicoil it.
                    I'm sure it could all be done with the engine still in the Jeep.
                    RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                    www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                    Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I would say it depends on how good you are at engine swaps. 4.0's come out pretty easy. Its a pain in ass to reach those with the engine in, but it can be done. I wouldn't run with just one motor mount bolt in the block
                      Originally posted by Fast Orange
                      if you piss all over the floor and get 3 drops in the bowl do you count that as good? granted i'm good for a sprinkle or two on the seat, but you leave all of our feet wet, metaphorically speaking of course
                      Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                      I find adam sandler strangely attractive, it must be josh's fault. god that kid sucks

Comment

Working...
                      X