Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help, away from home (updated 10/27/09)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help, away from home (updated 10/27/09)

so im in LI, i came here before heading to OER down in PA...

at some point in may at RC we overfilled my tranny, and i was smoking pretyy badly all the way home, which we assumed to be overflow from overfilling, since then i havent driven the jeep too much but i have driven it enough to notice the smoking had stopped (had driven to LI in it since and all the way to montauk, so on) and it hadnt smoked...drove around all week in it, no smoke.

i got on the highway today to come here and instantly there was smoke EVERYWHERE, from ATF dripping on the downpipe and smoking off...so i pulled over for 10 mins, and then went on my way again...it didnt smoke the rest of the way until i was about 5 miles from my destination here in LI, and then it kept smokingg pretty hardcore and i kept having to pull over to get here...i wasnt driving hard, or soft, or anything different...seems its prone at any speed over 40 no matter how hard im being on the jeep...seems to be no rhyme or reason to when it starts, i can just be coasting and itll start or accelerating or on cruise control...itll just suddenly start belching..i assume cuz the tranny just starts spilling fluid

does anyone have any insight on something like this? im kinda of afraid to drive to PA with my jeep leaking ATF onto the exhaust, fire comes to mind.
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

I know it might take a while, but remember what we did last time? Clean the entire underside and see where that shit is coming from. Mine was overfilled and it leaked out once until it self leveled. I seriously think you have a hole in a line somewhere, if not a seal.

The sporadic occurrence of this is quite bewildering though.

And unless there is an open flame under your jeep, the ATF will likely not catch fire. I drove to and from RC with oil dripping on my downpipe and I did not die in a fire.
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

my front tranny seal on my jeep is bad (as well as the rear)

and when it sits for a while fluid pools up on my downpipe and smokes off in about 5 mins.

remember when we fixed one o your tranny lines? it wore through flush with your oil pan and would only leak when it wasn't pressed up tightly against it?

is it safe to say those are in good shape? could happen again.

there are a few places it could be coming from

-front seal
      -tranny pan gasket
      -where the dipstick meets the tranny pan
      -tranny line
      -tranny line fitting.

i would spray it all down with brakleen, wipe it up and let it sit for a while.

if you see no signs of seepage, then drive it for while and recheck

if still no signs of seepage drive it til it does it again

if it dont do it again, drive it to pa
      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
        my front tranny seal on my jeep is bad (as well as the rear)

and when it sits for a while fluid pools up on my downpipe and smokes off in about 5 mins.

remember when we fixed one o your tranny lines? it wore through flush with your oil pan and would only leak when it wasn't pressed up tightly against it?

is it safe to say those are in good shape? could happen again.

there are a few places it could be coming from

-front seal
        -tranny pan gasket
        -where the dipstick meets the tranny pan
        -tranny line
        -tranny line fitting.

i would spray it all down with brakleen, wipe it up and let it sit for a while.

if you see no signs of seepage, then drive it for while and recheck

if still no signs of seepage drive it til it does it again

if it dont do it again, drive it to pa
        im pretty positive its the front seal, which i cant really service right now i guess....if that is whats basically over the downpipe up front...what i dont get is, the random leaking with no rhyme or reason...it didnt leak for id say a few hundred miles since the last trip, but now all of a sudden it was leaking like crazy near fairfield, then only near here again...and doesnt do it around town...and doesnt leak during any certain circumstance, just totally random...

and i think ATFs flammability is different than engine oil

im thinkin of gettin a piece of light guage sheet metal, mounting it to the tranny bellhousing bolts on the bottom, and having a bend in it, kinda like a drip pan to divert the leak from off/away the exhaust..seems like itd work in a pinch for this trip

i do know it isnt the line like before, those are dry up there...its wet as fawk right on the bottom of the front of the bellhousing and my skid
        - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

atf skid plate. easy to make, id rock one.

you arent going to die when atf hits that pipe though.

joe drove to mabell with fluid pissing on his downpipe and creating a smokescreen, a cop even pulled him over for it, no fya.

i would only worry about it if you are taching out when barely moving on the trail. (no airflow)

Comment

please dont make heavymetal go up in flames

k thanks

-nicole
            - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyMetal View Post
              please dont make heavymetal go up in flames

k thanks

-nicole
              when you "steal it" don't bounce off the rev limiter for a few minutes when you are stuck

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
                when you "steal it" don't bounce off the rev limiter for a few minutes when you are stuck
                psh whateva. when it goes up in flames it leaves no evidence that i took it
                - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

sigpic
                  Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

i'm no mechanical genius but maybe the extra fluid created too much pressure and blew a seal

edit : need to work on my thread reading skillz
                    2 tj's
                    3 yj's
                    2 xj's
                    i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

bumpin this up..

so lets say it is the front seal on this thing...

how hard is that to service? now that we have a downtime in the season i figure this is something to think about
                      - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

i go through trannies more than i go through input seals

so i wouldnt know

i could check out my spare tranny when its light out though

Comment

is it pretty much agreed upon that this would be the seal in question leaking? youve seen it
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

pull tranny, pull torque converter, use seal puller a special someone has, install seal, put converter in, re-install tranny, win
                            1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                            2001 wj tbd
                            1974 5 ton

Comment

ive never dragged myself under your jeep since you installed said drip pan.

but if its comin out from under the bellhousin, its gotta be the front of the tranny or somehow a fuct torque converter

Comment

Working...
                              X