Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing Question

Hey,
    I guess this is the right section to post in, as some of you may or may not know, I do enjoy myself some good ol' fashion camping...

Now i'm over that tent thing, And saw a lot of pop ups much like hawk's this weekend. I saw stock [looking] jeeps pulling them around. I was wondering if I happened to acquire similar popup such as hawk's, would I be able to pull it around on 33" tyrrz, and stock gears?

Thanks in advance.
    Is it egg nog season yet?

Shouldn't be a problem! Check your vehicles Towing Capacities in Owners Manual or online, find out weight of pop-up trailer
    HOONIGAN FOR LIFE
    OLD 4X4'S NEVER DIE!!!!!

Comment

if i were you i would re gear it
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

its gunna suck.
        1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
        1999 sierra
        1967 M725 Big and Slow
        -Dan

Comment

say goodbye to your tranny if you do it on stock gears

Comment

based on hawks past experiences you will be more than fine
            99 xj, 3" RC, 35" BFG AT red labels, custom rear bumper, SYE, armor, Hellas, waggy 44's fr+rr, 5.13's ,lunchbox lockers fr+rr, rear disk conversion,rock crusher covers frt+rr, beefy homemade 1 ton highsteer setup

Comment

Now what if I run stock tires instead of the 33's on stock gears like so many other jeeps I saw.

Comment

if i knew i was going to do a long trip just driving with the camper then i would buy some used cheapo tires on some stock rims and put them on b4 the trip. will save you mileage on the 33's and tow much better.

when my jeep had 33's and stock gears i towed around a aluminum bass boat and it was not fun, but it did it. but i think the boat would be lighter then any pop-up
                "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

mm, thanks for the answers guys.
                  It was more just in the curiosity stage now, probably due to the realness of hawk's road trip. If I happen to come into enough money to pay off my debts and then buy/fixup/register a popup trailer, i'll be sure to post pictures. haha.
                  Plus, I still must research them more.

Most importantly-- Please if you still have answers for the Original post, keep em' coming.
                  Thanks

Comment

there are some fee ones on craigslist
                    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                    2001 wj tbd
                    1974 5 ton

Comment

depends on the size of the pop up but the smaller ones aren't really heavy. i would just do it. you should be fine. i'd be more worried about braking than anything so just keep your distance.
                      2 tj's
                      3 yj's
                      2 xj's
                      i'm a jeep whore

"id walk 6 hours one way to suck a fart out of megan fox's ass"

Comment

Ill start researching sizes and whatnot. Still gotta find my jeeps towing capacity

Comment

Originally posted by Arundlemcbrundle View Post
                          depends on the size of the pop up but the smaller ones aren't really heavy. i would just do it. you should be fine. i'd be more worried about braking than anything so just keep your distance.
                          most of them have surge braking with the flat 4 connector. they are around 1700lbs with 200lb tongue weight

Originally posted by Riot View Post
                          Ill start researching sizes and whatnot. Still gotta find my jeeps towing capacity
                          you will be fine
                          2001 wj tbd
                          1974 5 ton

Comment

you'll be fine going up big hills may slow you down,but i would do it where do you plan on going?
                            1995 xj 3"RC 33" BFG At

Comment

why not spend the money you would use to buy a camper on gears?

Comment

Working...
                              X