early 70's j10 dana 44's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• early 70's j10 dana 44's

j10 dana 44's ? any info about these axles and swapping them ? I realize there much wider.
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

they might be d60 ill ask my friend he has a j 10 and they do look wider than a d44

Comment

they made them with d60 (not j10) and 44's , im just looking for info on the 44's
      up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
      eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Sam runs a front J10 44 and used to run a rear J10 44. They are the same as waggy 44s just wider 63" wms I believe.
        -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

they are wider.

you need new yokes on them to match up with your d-shafts

plan on stretching your WB so you dont have to shorten your drive shafts (you may still have to shorten your front like i did), i cant move my front any farther without hitting my track bar bracket

obviously a bracket kit for a tj

plan a reamer for steering and just upgrading while you are doing the swap
          "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

those axles are garbage, especially for a tj

the desirable ones are a dime a dozen, 1980+ non vac disco
            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

what makes them garbage ? was just curious, theres a set local for $200 complete, my TJ's off the road and DD my silverado again so Im in no rush, but stepping back up to 35's I'd like to have axles that arent a ticking time bomb. 35's and 3.07's royaly sucked as well Im really surprised I never broke the dana30, ended up breaking about everything else first instead
              eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
                what makes them garbage ? was just curious, theres a set local for $200 complete, my TJ's off the road and DD my silverado again so Im in no rush, but stepping back up to 35's I'd like to have axles that arent a ticking time bomb. 35's and 3.07's royaly sucked as well Im really surprised I never broke the dana30, ended up breaking about everything else first instead
                they are passneger side drop for one

closed knuckle iirc
                drum brakes

you can find axles that are easier to swap, locally for that price

Comment

gotcha I didnt know anything about them hence the thread. at this rate I'll probably just buy another 8.8 out of RI junkyards and prepare it again. should of just kept my old one

whats a good front axle available at junkyards though ? Ive been to a few around CT and never see any old jeeps or scouts. I like dana's set up though
                  eliminator MJ - Sold

Comment

1980+ waggy and j10 axles are the easiest swap available

other than that you are looking at late 70's ford 44's or dana60's

rear axles are easy, you can make most anything work and most are cheap

Comment

hey Sam, if one were to get a waggy front could you convert that to a 5 lug or no?
                      dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Hydra View Post
                        hey Sam, if one were to get a waggy front could you convert that to a 5 lug or no?
                        you gotta usea mish mosh of ford 44 parts, but its doable.

you are better off getting a ford 44 front though and narrowing it

Comment

so in the event I was shopping for one, should I look for ford? Or just use the wagonerr and keep it. I know the wagonerr axles are a bit cheaper, and the fords are kinda a pain to find. Just trying to get ideas when for when I'm ready to upgrade the turdy
                          dirty30

Comment

keep the waggy 6 lug and convert your rear to 6 with some alloy shafts

BAM

less work, a little more money, but if you are gonna get alloys anyway it's free

Comment

are all j-10's pass drop closed knuckle?

anyways i would just do waggy front and rear and be done with it!

EDIT: i missed the early 70's that he had in the title and not the description.... my bad
                              "when I'm riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive...when I stop riding my motorcycle,I'm glad to be alive"

Comment

Working...
                              X