Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heater Core replacement

Why herro there erryboody.

My jeep seems to not enjoy staying cool and i have replaced the thermostat (cracked), water pump (bosch and 40 bucks so why not), and a 3 core radiator that is known to be good(taken off my old jeep). Also has a new fan clutch (free) and she still creeps up to 230 at idle and stays around that temp even on the highway.

Now im not sure if i have a mean air bubble in the system or maybe my heater core is done as my heat in the winter is terrible which leads me to that conclusion. Anyways does anybody have any ideas? and if it is the heater core how much of a PITA is it to change that?
    spanks

this is one job you should never look forward to. I think book time to replace the heater core is like 8.5 hours or something. The whole entire dash has to be removed, everything up to the firewall comes out. You have to evac. the ac system, which in the house of hack probably means venting it to atmosphere. once you can see the firewall you have to remove the heater box and split in half where you can finally access the heater core.

On a side note though, i will agree that this seems to be your issue. First i would try flushing it out either with some good chemicals or even just a garden hose through the heater hoses.
    99 xj, 3" RC, 35" BFG AT red labels, custom rear bumper, SYE, armor, Hellas, waggy 44's fr+rr, 5.13's ,lunchbox lockers fr+rr, rear disk conversion,rock crusher covers frt+rr, beefy homemade 1 ton highsteer setup

Comment

Originally posted by xjeeper View Post
      this is one job you should never look forward to. I think book time to replace the heater core is like 8.5 hours or something. The whole entire dash has to be removed, everything up to the firewall comes out. You have to evac. the ac system, which in the house of hack probably means venting it to atmosphere. once you can see the firewall you have to remove the heater box and split in half where you can finally access the heater core.

On a side note though, i will agree that this seems to be your issue. First i would try flushing it out either with some good chemicals or even just a garden hose through the heater hoses.
      ya i wont be pulling my dash apart even if there were 20 megan foxes back there(well maybe i would) My dad said on his old xj some guy blew out the core with an air hose, any thoughts on that? If not ill just run a hose through it and my AC works mint so im not tearing that apart either.

Comment

blowing it out with a house will work if it is clogged. i have done it quite a few times on vws and audis. it has been successful everytime. ive also done it with a garden hose forcing water through it.
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
          blowing it out with a house will work if it is clogged. i have done it quite a few times on vws and audis. it has been successful everytime. ive also done it with a garden hose forcing water through it.
          try to get a good seal and backflush it through the outlet hose. The pressure of the water coming out of a garden hose is much more than the cooling system uses so it shouldnt be a problem cleaning it up.
          99 xj, 3" RC, 35" BFG AT red labels, custom rear bumper, SYE, armor, Hellas, waggy 44's fr+rr, 5.13's ,lunchbox lockers fr+rr, rear disk conversion,rock crusher covers frt+rr, beefy homemade 1 ton highsteer setup

Comment

roger. thanks. ill give that a shot.

Comment

When using the garden hose method i just disconnect both heater core hoses up near the thermostat housing and water pump. Position both hoses so they can pour out on the side of the fender. Turn on the hose and then just switch between both heater core hoses till the water comes out clear.
              2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
              1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

Originally posted by OTTE View Post
                When using the garden hose method i just disconnect both heater core hoses up near the thermostat housing and water pump. Position both hoses so they can pour out on the side of the fender. Turn on the hose and then just switch between both heater core hoses till the water comes out clear.
                sounds good. thanks

Comment

guage is at 230 at idle and at speed still after heater core flush. ideas?

Comment

I know with my shitty closed system air bubbles will really mess things up.
                    1993 XJ sport 3.5" rustys 33" MTZ's armored.
                    1999 sierra
                    1967 M725 Big and Slow
                    -Dan

Comment

You might have some air bubbles in there. Other than that I dunno.
                      2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
                      1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

faulty gauge
                        Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                        didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                        Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                        he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                        Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                        i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

im still thinking air bubbles.

also:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=364431

Comment

Originally posted by XJLI View Post
                            im still thinking air bubbles.

also:

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=364431
                            already checked there.

as for faulty gauge or sensor im not sure but i just cracked the sensor so i will be getting a new one.

Comment

check the a/c condesor to see if u can see thru it cause that could block the air flow

Comment

Working...
                              X