leaf spring options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaf spring options

the recent talk of leaf springs has sparked my interest. after my rustys leaf packs fell apart yesterday i've been doing some research on new leaf packs. i have 4.5" of lift and would like to keep it at that.

my 2 options at the moment are clayton and RE.

the RE packs are 5 leaf and i would run 3.5" and a 1" shackle or that shackle relocation box.

claytons are 7 leaf and i feel may be a bit better built. though they only come in 4.5"

which do you think would flex/ride better?
    RE 3.5" packs with 1" shackle
    69.23%
    Clayton 4.5" packs
    30.77%
    I drive a Datsun

i have had terrible luck with re leaf springs

i would give the claytons a try.

and nobody can afford deavers or nationals anyway so lets not talk about those.
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

id try claytons. tho i have had good luck with my RE 3.5 springs

Comment

who voted RE? i should have clicked show voters

sam your experience is what hinders me from the RE's. if clayton had 3.5" leafs i'd be all over that
        I drive a Datsun

Comment

claytons are just rock krawler springs, of which i have seen warp to shit as well in person.

id hardly consider sams rig a good example for leaf spring longevity, ball busting aside, lol

RE 3.5 with a shackle will ride and flex better in theory, i imagine that to be truth.
          - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
          or am asians pants not a read end lol.
          Originally posted by DizzDizz
          aliens probed my husband

Comment

MY RE leafs have been great....
            sigpic
            Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

3.5 re's with shackle box relocation
              1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
              2001 wj tbd
              1974 5 ton

Comment

i have ran the same RE leafs since mid-late 2005 and they were perfectly fine up until i ran shockless for a month and fucked em up a little not too long ago.

i wouldnt hesitate to run them again.
                - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
                or am asians pants not a read end lol.
                Originally posted by DizzDizz
                aliens probed my husband

Comment

i take it everyone agrees that 3.5" leafs with 1" shackle or 1" shackle relocation > 4.5" leafs
                  I drive a Datsun

Comment

or you could try to build a set of sliders. i built my shackle relocation box and have yet to install it
                    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                    2001 wj tbd
                    1974 5 ton

Comment

meh

im the only person i know who doesn't like their re leafs so ya.

4.5's gave me a 3" lift and slowly settled into 1.5" of wrapped lift

re 3.5's gave me 3.5 for about a week then settled to 1" coulda gone lower but i was resting on my bumpstops

that and they were wrapped to shit
                      www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

i thought about sliders too. seems like there is more friction than you would want using that over a relocation box
                        I drive a Datsun

Comment

in all seriousness it didnt take all that long to make and it is cheap to do
                          2001 wj tbd
                          1974 5 ton

Comment

I've have my jeep for almost 3 years and i'm running re3.5 springs, they seem great and give a decent ride considering it's still a jeep

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                              claytons are 7 leaf and i feel may be a bit better built. though they only come in 4.5"
                              which do you think would flex/ride better?

so not true they have 6.5 which they take a leaf out and bring it to 4.5...
                              trust me i picked up the set the other day

Comment

Working...
                              X