XJ Auto Tranny swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ Auto Tranny swap

In my curiosity, i want to know how hard it is to do an auto tranny swap into an XJ.

Kthx SIS

Sorry that was worded bad
    Last edited by Saharicon; 06-11-2009, 10:44 PM.
    You better decide if you are hanging on the cross, or banging in the nails

its pretty simple to do. make sure you disconnect the tranny kick down before you start dropping the tranny. i used to have them out in 35 minutes.
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

if it is getting a new torque converter put about a quart and a half of atf in there before you put the transmission in.
      1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
      2001 wj tbd
      1974 5 ton

Comment

re worded

Comment

it is not that hard too do. i was just giving some pointers if you were going to do it.
          2001 wj tbd
          1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
            it is not that hard too do. i was just giving some pointers if you were going to do it.
            I was looking for what you have to change for going from a manual tranny to an auto in an XJ.

Comment

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258497
              2001 wj tbd
              1974 5 ton

Comment

thanks d00d, ill just read it backwards and it should be exactly what i need

Comment

yea sorry originally it read auto swap so i figured it was auto to auto. make sure you get the tcu i have an extra one if you need it.
                  2001 wj tbd
                  1974 5 ton

Comment

if you find a tranny. MAKE SURE you get a matching tcu

better yet. get everything from the same year if possible.

i know 91-96 are the same, but they fucked around with shit in 97 and i don't know the differences in earlier models
                    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

the earlier models have the power comfort mode on the tranny so their tcus are a little different than the others also
                      2001 wj tbd
                      1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
                      X