axle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle help

After swapping the 8.25 into the mj it started to make a bad growling noise on decel. I pulled the cover and there is some markings on the carrier. The pinion started to leak really bad once the noise started. Is it a bad pinion bearing?

Pinion angle

Carrier.

Comment

MY guess would be the pinion nut came loose but less it will need a complete rebuild, pinion bearings, carrier bearings, posible ring and pinion. those makes on the carrier are from the pinion hitting it.
      85 K10, 44front,ff14 rear, 350,th350,Np208, 39.5/13.5r20 IROKs. almost done
      New toy 88 yj, 4.2, 5speed,231. Its getting a soa, 78 f350 dana 60s, SYE, and some 37s.

Comment

Thats not what I want to hear.

Comment

Grab the yoke and yank to see if there's play (guaranteed there will be lots of it).

Comment

SHOULDA KEPT MINE
            Originally posted by Ktmracer419
            some people choose video games
            some choose projects
            some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by DrThunder View Post
              Grab the yoke and yank to see if there's play (guaranteed there will be lots of it).
              Yeah there is.

Comment

Makes sense, when you accelerate the pinion is pushed out decelerating sucks it in.

I had a Dodge P/U that did the same thing the nut backed off the pinion actually jammed into the housing and cracked it.
                I cleaned up the carrier welded the housing used the same gears just changed the bearings and it is still running strong.

I also had another dodge that waited for ever to do the diff bearings, the gears ended up wearing a new patter so when I swapped out the bearings it no longer worked the way it was supposed to be lined up, loud as hell, so I had to regeared it as well.

Depending on how long it was loose you might be able to save the gears but now is a good time to regear it.
                Last edited by customcreationsllc; 06-01-2009, 02:16 PM.
                RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

it went about 2000 ft with it like that.

Comment

Regearing time.
                    -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Honestly If it was me I would just clean all the metal out and just tighten the nut back up.

As long as the pinion is bearings still spin smooth you should be fine. Remember it is a crush sleeve so don't over tighten the pinion nut, just tighten it until there is preload on the bearing basically a little tighter than what the front diff feels like.
                      Probably a quick zap with an impact gun would work.

What do you have to loose at this point, if you are going to put gears and lockers you not saving any of those parts.
                      Just keep an ear out for any noise back there.

Red loctite and stake the bearing with a punch (deform the thread like a mechanical lock nut)
                      RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                      www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                      Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

I pulled the rear end apart. All the bearings feel fine to me.

Comment

I'd say what justin said, just whack it down again and give it a go
                          dirty30

Comment

Does my pinion angle look ok?

Comment

throw sum shims in there.... looks low to me
                              Originally posted by Ktmracer419
                              some people choose video games
                              some choose projects
                              some choose welding random things together

Comment

Working...
                              X