SYE/DS combo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SYE/DS combo question

I have a Advanced adapters SYE and a stock front driveshaft. My XJ is a 2000 with an auto trans and 8.25 rear end. The XJ has 3" of lift and no degree shims on the rear axle.
    My question is: Will this combo work?
    I'm planning on installing it on Monday. My XJ is my DD and if I put the SYE in and then find out that my DS is too long/short i'm going to be fawked. I have an Aussie in the front, so running in front wheel drive on the roads is not an option. I know alot of you guys are running SYEs on 3" of lift, so I just want to verify that this will work before I dig into it.
    Thanks!

it should work

but you would want to shim the rear axle anyway

it's the right way to do it, and more clearance
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

definitely shim the axle
      1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

Shimming the rear axle IS in the plan, but I don't have the shims and happen to be flat broke at the moment. I will put them in at some point soon. What do you suppose I should use, like 7 degree shims? I do understand that ideally the pinion should point directly to the transfer case output.

Comment

I don't think 7 degree shims will be necessary, I have twice as much lift and am running 8 degrees I believe
          dirty30

Comment

i have small shims laying around somewhere you can have
            1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

Well I got it together and took it for a drive. NO MORE VIBES! Yay. Unfortunately, upon giving it a lookover after the test drive, I see I'm leaking fluid. The front yolk is leaking through the middle around the nut and shaft.

The rear is leaking too. wtf

I'll try tightening them up more tomarro.I might have to get a new seal for the front. But the rear is brand new.I'm a lil pissed, but I'll get it, and soon 'cause it's a daily driver.

Comment

did you reuse the o ring that seals the splines to the yoke/washer?

Comment

Yeah, the kit came with a new splined O-ring that goes behind the nut. I'll try tightening it up more and hopefully that will seal it up.

Comment

pinion angle

Well I got the leaks locked down.It seems I had too much faith in my lil old air compressor.I tightened the yolk nuts by hand and it's all good now.
                    As far as shimming the pinion angle goes, I'm not sure what to get. I'm thinking maybe 4* or possibly 2*. It has no vibration, should I even bother? Take a look at the pic, the angle isn't bad, but not perfect.

Advise?

Comment

if it doesnt vibe, leave it. technically the rear yoke should be pointing directly at the tcase output.

Comment

shim= moar growd clurrance

Comment

I would leave it if it doesnt vibe. Having a degree or two low isn't the end of the world, when you are hard on the skinny and get some axle wrap it brings the angle right where it should be.

Comment

Thanks for the input fellas. I'll run it for now.

Comment

Working...
                            X