Bad Cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Cat?

so i started my car today, (2001 jeep cherokee) and it was running really rough, about 100 yrds down the road my check engine light starts blinking. now at first i didnt read the owners manual, and i tried changing my plugs, that didnt help at all. so the owners manual says its my catalytic converter. Now i havent been able to figure out how much one will cost, but all i kno is i have the biggest race of the season thursday and i need to go to NJ. so my question is, 1 has anyone else had this problem? 2 Is it possible for me just to bypass the o2 sensors or even just get rid of my cat and just run it straight back to the muffler? i will eventually fix it the right way, but i need to rig it so that it will work, FAST

fyi: it runs rough

it hits like 3000 rpm and just dies

and it rattles like a mother

ANY HELP?
    Last edited by CntStpTheStnk06; 05-17-2009, 08:27 AM.
    -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
    -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
    -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
    -57 GMC Pickup
    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

drive to autozone

have them check your codes

come back

and post up the codes

collapsed cat is a possibility in this case, kick the cat with the jeep off and see if it rattles
    www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ktmracer419 View Post
      drive to autozone

have them check your codes

come back

and post up the codes

collapsed cat is a possibility in this case, kick the cat with the jeep off and see if it rattles
      x2
      winng. all the goddamned time.

**MY STATEMENTS AND/OR OPINIONS IN NO WAY REFLECT THOSE OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT.

Comment

blinking MIL is bad news bears. drive as little as posible. blinking means it could be serious damage on the motor if ran under that condition. get your codes checked immediately

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Originally posted by CumminsJeep View Post
          blinking MIL is bad news bears. drive as little as posible. blinking means it could be serious damage on the motor if ran under that condition. get your codes checked immediately

x2
          Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
          didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
          Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
          he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
          Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
          i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

so i just installed a new ekwin coil pack, thats what 2 people told me had to be wrong, it didnt fix it, the codes told me that there was a missfire in cylender 1 and that therre was a shortage to an 02 sensor, but could an 02 sensor really mess this thing up that much?
            -57 GMC Pickup
            -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

A misfire on Cylinder 1 can cause your CEL to flash. You can have a bad fuel injector or Internal engine components are bad. Im going through something similar on mine. The O2 sensor could be a wiring problem or a bad O2 sensor.
              2000 XJ with goodies soon to be in pieces
              1999 XJ will get most of the 2000XJ doodads.

Comment

bad regulator?
                1991 YJ, 1 tons, locked, lots o armor, stretched, cage

Comment

check plug wire, rotor for corrosion on the inside and the injector for power.

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
                    check plug wire, rotor for corrosion on the inside and the injector for power.
                    if i remember this right 2001s are a d.i.s system. it had one long coil pack that covered all the plugs?
                    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
                    2001 wj tbd
                    1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
                      if i remember this right 2001s are a d.i.s system. it had one long coil pack that covered all the plugs?
                      correct, i put a new one in, cost me 250 and it didnt work idk what it is i didnt think of fuel injector tho. im gunna putts with it more tomorrow. till then i have a coil pack for sale.
                      -57 GMC Pickup
                      -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

50 bucks for your k&n

but heres how to bypass 02

mayby something to try with jear bear http://zero-signal.org/o2/O2bypass.html.htm

Comment

bad 02 wont cause it to run THAT bad. it will cause a slight rough idle more then anything. if the 02 sensor gives out your computer just goes off a pre programmed a/f ratio table.

a bad cat can cause lack of power etc in the upper rpms. which the jeep off, tap the cat a little, if shits rattling inside it, its no good. Pick up a universal cat for $100-150 or whatever or in the mean time you could just remove the cat, hammer out all the stuff inside it and put a straight pipe or the "shell" of it back in place.
                          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                          eliminator MJ - Sold
                          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Working...
                          X