arc welders, clear this up for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arc welders, clear this up for me

I have caught shit from multiple people about doing some of my welding tasks with my fathers 250 stick welder, and to be honest i don't know jack shit about the details between welders. I have been practicing and i'm getting some semi decent welds now. In the future i wan't to buy a fairly nice mig, but the budget won't allow for that right now.

What are the main things that make an arc welder less desirable compared to a mig?

Obviously you have to run flux core, but whats the big deal, you chip off the slag and no problem right?

They are harder to control and not as clean as mig's, but if i can get a good weld whats the difference? I think i remember someone even telling me arc welders get better penetration than mig welders.

Last question. What type of rod is good for what application. I was under the impression the thickness of rod will change with the thickness of metal you are welding?

mig disadvantages
    1 mig welders are more expensive to run between shielding gases (co2,argon, and mixes) wire, and tips.
    2 mig welders are not that portable
    3 will not weld on rust, paint, or dirty surfaces
    4 does not penetrate thick steel.
    5 does not like to weld outdoors in windy conditions

mig advantages
    1 productivity
    2 very little clean up
    3 can weld stainless mild steel, and aluminum
    4 you can weld in all positions.

stick disadvantages
    1 you can not weld as long as mig due to the fact you have to change electrode
    2 takes longer to learn
    3 not good for thinner metals

stick advantages
    1 portability
    2 affordable
    3 can be used indoors and out doors wind does not effect weld pool

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/lincoln_electrode_guide.htm hope that link helps you choose what electrode is needed.
    Last edited by Magilla; 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM.
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

Working...
    X