95 grand cherokee 4.0L sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 95 grand cherokee 4.0L sensor

so In my spare time I've been doing up a 95 grand cherokee for my mom to drive. Bought it last year for $200 with a blown motor, Bought a motor from another SISoffroad member months ago from a 91 cherokee that he had rolled (sorry dont remember members name). Anyways So I got the right Torque converter in and dropped the motor into the 95 GC. I thought they were the same motors but jeep decided to change sensors and wire connectors around. So after piecing together various sensors, fan clutch, alternator bracket etc I finally got it all together. It fires right up and runs good but I still have a sensor hanging around which I dont know what it is or where it goes....

heres a pic of it. The connector is from 95 GC vehicle harness and the sensor I found off another jeep at the Junkyard. Do I need this sensor ?

goes back there near #6 fuel injector somewhere

like I said it seems to run fine but I havent taken it down the road or anything yet. Check engine light went on but pretty sure thats due to the broken 02 sensor ( btw if anyone has an 02 sensor for cheap let me know). Ive got $490 into this jeep so far ( I love the local pick n pull junkyard) so its been a great build so far
    up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
    eliminator MJ - Sold
    99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
    Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

looks like a temp sensor
    1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
    2001 wj tbd
    1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
      looks like a temp sensor
      ya its a temp sensor that goes into the back of the head. is the GC OBDI? you should be getting a code w/o it plugged in

Comment

right past cyl 6 near the valve cover?
        1996 xj, waggy 44 front 5.13 gears aussie trussed, 3 links, 3.5" coils, spooled 8.8 rear, 38" tsl sx's, tnt front bumper, jesus freaks rear bumper, Olympic top hat roof rack, bunch of dumb shit
        2001 wj tbd
        1974 5 ton

Comment

Originally posted by raze1287 View Post
          right past cyl 6 near the valve cover?
          ya. i think its the sender for the gauge, dont quote me on it. i know theres another one in the thermostat housing but i think thats just for the efan relay.

or maybe GCs are different.

Comment

100% coolant temp sensor.

some motors have a threaded hole in the back of the block, and some rebuilt motors do not for whatever reason.

i just drilled and tapped a hole in the t-stat housing
            www.eatsleepexp.wordpress.com

Comment

ok that explains alot then, explains why the coolant temp doesnt work on the dash cluster. I'm assuming the 91 motor doesnt have the hole for it then. Does it matter where it goes or ?

yea XJLI its OBD I . Once its registered ill drive it to my work and tune it up a little more and hook up our Genisys computer into it and see how everything is
              up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
              eliminator MJ - Sold
              99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
              Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

They make 2 sensors. 1 for a dummy gauge instrument cluster and 1 for the actual gauge. So it may or may not work on your GC depending on the donor.

Comment

YEP it is a temp sensor the grands have two my 97 does one for the dash and then one for the computer functions....i dunno why but it does, the 97 has the VIC which uses the front sensor, and the rear sensor to operate the temp gauge on the dash.
                  https://sisoffroad.com/forums/core/i...smilies/us.gif 2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 https://sisoffroad.com/forums/core/i...smilies/us.gif
                  https://sisoffroad.com/forums/core/i...smilies/us.gif 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport https://sisoffroad.com/forums/core/i...smilies/us.gif
                  94,95,97 ZJ~SOLD 97,97 TJ~SOLD 00' F350~SOLD

Comment

Working...
                  X