Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to ZJ's Q's about lift

i just acquired a nice 98 5.9 grand. i want to run 32-33"s

interwebs tell me 33" will rub bad with a 3.5 inch lift ( which was my plan )
    so can i trim/space/hammer to stop, or would i need to go bigger on lift

nothing crazy on lift, im in the 400-650 price range, and i was thinking about going with the rough country 3.5 kit.

will the aluminum d44 housing take the punishment of 33s and my lead foot?

Paging Dr. Huxley to the ZJ ward
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

Most 3" kits just put the front springs in the rear and give you taller front springs. Other than that the suspension is the same as an xj and tj I believe. I've seen 32s on a 3". You can probably fit 33's if you trim.

As far as the 44a apparently the aluminum center section doesn't take abuse well. I know i rounded mine off pretty good and had a peeling/leaking cover my first time at Rausch. It is a pretty strong axle, however, and will be fine on 33's. Look at Valhalla Fab on JeepForum or Facebook. They make a nice weld on skid for it for $75. That's where I got mine.

Remember those zjs came with cv front axle shafts too. That's more of a weak point.
      Last edited by Pedro; 05-22-2014, 05:54 PM.
      P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
      2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
      OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Thanks, i didn't know that the cv shafts were a weak point, for some reason i thought they would be better than u joints....

Comment

Originally posted by StompJrKz400 View Post
          Thanks, i didn't know that the cv shafts were a weak point, for some reason i thought they would be better than u joints....
          If they are made by RCV, yes. Double check that the boots aren't torn.

With that said, I've never seen one in person break. I've also never wheeled with many people who run them aside from myself. Unlocked on 33's you should be ok, but they aren't ideal.
          P8R

OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Run em till they break, then tj axles i guess

Comment

Seen the CVs break locked on 33s. Didn't take much
              97 XJ.

Comment

The CV shafts blow. Find an XJ with ABS, you need shafts with tone rings on them.

You saw my ZJ on 33's, and that wheeled a Sentra with 2" of lift perfectly fine. You'll be good with 3.5" or so. Just make sure to hammer back the pinch seam in the front. You can't, and don't ever want to, do any trimming in the rear wheel well.

Don't wheel like an idiot, pay attention to where your wheels are, and the aluminum diff will last. Like Pete said, diff skid is key. Aluminum 44s when supported properly can be just as strong as a cast 44, and actually have bigger bearings. They used hem in Vipers and other stuff...

Sucks the grille and hood are fucked. Getting 9er replacements will be, well... Not cheap. Convenient for you that I have a grille and hood for a ZJ.
                2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                MK2 Jetta > M3
                Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

I was jus going to hit up the junkyard for hoood fender and grill, is the 5.9 grill much diffrent?

Im not worried about loosing the hood vents either

Comment

Originally posted by StompJrKz400 View Post
                    I was jus going to hit up the junkyard for hoood fender and grill, is the 5.9 grill much diffrent?

Im not worried about loosing the hood vents either
                    Cut the new hood and put the old vents in it
                    I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
                      Cut the new hood and put the old vents in it
                      WRONG, get a new hood and hand over the vents to me
                      2005 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
                      1945 Willys-Overland CJ2A

Comment

It screws on the same. Any ZJ grill will work.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
                        MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Fairchild View Post

You saw my ZJ on 33's, and that wheeled a Sentra with 2" of lift perfectly fine.
                          Back up SMASH back up SMASH back up SMASH "get the front tires" back up SMASH on the hood. Rear tire 1' off the ground....doesn't quite sound like perfectly fine...but close enough
                          Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                          didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                          Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                          he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                          Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                          i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Didn't rub. Didn't flip... It counts

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
                            MK2 Jetta > M3

Comment

The grille just has the mesh and the good has the vents. That's all
                              P8R

Comment

Working...
                              X