Electrical woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical woes

This is for my wj, I'll try to keep it short. I changed my entire ignition harness a a little over a month ago because the terminals were shot. Gave it a new battery too (wal mart warrenty, so I swapped them out). Drove it a lot actually, maybe 300-350 miles with no issues at all, for two weeks.

Three weeks ago I went to start it to clean the snow off and it started fine, but the battery guage was dropped and it tripped the "check gauges" light. The radio was off, the gauges were off, but the jeep was running. No power anywhere else, I left it running for 20 minutes to see what would happen. I hopped back in to move it back into its spot, but still no,power to anything. Back it in, pulled it out to straighten it more, and it died right in smirfin' parking lot. Minimal juice, wouldn't start up. Would maybe get one crank. I had a guy who was out there jump it for me and had to rev it a lot to get it to run normally again, so I parked it and let it run and revved it a bit more.

Left it for a week and it started fine the next weekend. Drove it around town, no issues. Maybe ten miles.

Next weekend I go to start it and it's completely dead. Changed out the battery again this weekend (again, thanks wal mart. Thought maybe a shitty battery) and it fires right up. This time I left the winch and lights disconnected in case there was a drain from them somewhere. Drove it across town maybe 15 miles to the food store and all good. Start it to leave and it starts fine, but the battery guage is slowly dropping to maybe 11-12volts, slowly rising back to normal 14 volts, dropping, rising, etc. all the way home. Jeep never stalls, seems to drive fine except the guage.

Alternator? I checked all the new ignition harness wires and resanded them all. All seem fine. Going to see what happens next weekend and probably replace or test the alternator.
    Last edited by Pedro; 02-23-2014, 08:29 PM.
    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Could be a bad voltage regulator in the alt
    2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
    97' zj
    2012 surbra imperza DD
    im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Originally posted by hoggie101 View Post
      Could be a bad voltage regulator in the alt
      thats what I'm voting so far as well. I haven't tested the alternator yet but I figured we would start with a free battery first until i can get over and test it

97 TJ that I think is pretty neat.

Comment

Definitely check the alt and the wiring from the alt to battery and the pdc.

Comment

What they said. Also I just spit cheerios out of my face when I read smirfin, so thanks for that
          I drive a Datsun

Comment

Sounds like the Alt is on it's way out.

Or dirty/bad leads from alt? causing voltage loss?
            dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by crosbike View Post
              Definitely check the alt and the wiring from the alt to battery and the pdc.
              What's a pdc?
              P8R

OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Puny dick cleaner.... Dizzy....
                -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

ZJs and WJs have the voltage regulator as part of the computer, not the alternator. You may need to make your own and bypass the harness leads that go to the alternator. I have a write up saved somewhere.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
                  2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                  MK2 Jetta > M3
                  Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Power distribution center...or fuse block

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Fairchild View Post
                      ZJs and WJs have the voltage regulator as part of the computer, not the alternator. You may need to make your own and bypass the harness leads that go to the alternator. I have a write up saved somewhere.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
                      That sounds lovely.
                      P8R

Comment

Working...
                      X