CT Emissions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CT Emissions

My new to me jeep needs to go through emissions.

It's an 01 XJ. Do they probe the tailpipe anymore?

It's throwing a P0455 code for evap systems. (I'm pretty sure it's because the line that goes from the fuel pump to the evap canister is totally rusted and leaking out gas vapors.) I'm going to fix that soon and hope that fixes my problems.

Another reason i ask is because my exhaust is totally rusted out. The stock one that is. I want to do a straight pipe from the exhaust manifold back and just run a glasspack and a flowmaster super 44. No cat. There are no 02 sensors after the exhaust manifold on this jeep so i don't think that'll throw an 02 code. I just don't know if emissions testing looks for a cat or probes the tailpipe.

Anyways how exactly do they do emissions in CT?
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

What I've known is they only tailpipe anything pre 1996. 1996 and up is all OBD2 scan. Depending on who you go to, they'll sometimes do a visual inspection under the vehicle to make sure the CAT is alright.
    1998 XJ.....Finally.
    1997 ZJ 4.0L....The wife's ride.

...And I'm a Mac

Comment

So basically as long as all of my check engine lights are off the thing should pass emissions?

I'm not going to push my luck. I'll just leave the stock shit in there until after it passes emissions. It's just slightly loud as it leaks like a bastard.

Think they care if the cat is rusty?
      Hudson

Comment

If the cat is in one piece, you should be fine. If nothing is tripping off the cel, you should be good to go. I'm overdue for my test...my cat rattles like a bastard and hoping that won't fail my test.
        1998 XJ.....Finally.
        1997 ZJ 4.0L....The wife's ride.

...And I'm a Mac

Comment

for your 01 you need a catalyst converter on there (visual check), you need no check engine codes set and you need to have I/M monitors ready, only 1 monitor not ready is allowed. this means you cant just clear your codes and go down, it wont pass. you will either need to clear your code and drive and go the monitors ready or fix the problem causing the code.
          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
          eliminator MJ - Sold
          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

2001 you can only have 1 not ready.
            So clear the codes keep the tank full and it will not run the evap wait until all the uther monitors are up an you will pass.
            Just don't fail then you will need to fix the Evap.

it only runs evap between 1/4 and 3/4 of a tank.

Good luck
            RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
            www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
            Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

Well i just fixed that line. Hopefully that fixes my problem. Cleared the code with a code reader and now i have no dash lights on.

How do i tell when all the other monitors are up and ready to receive?
              Hudson

Comment

I have an innova 3040 scan tool. It shows the I/M Monitor Status.

The "M", "F", & "CC" are solid and the "C", "EV", "O", & "OH" are flashing.

just read my manual for the scan tool. It says the three that are solid on my scan tool are "Continuous monitors". All the ones that are flashing are "Non-Continuous". It says they perform and complete their testing once per trip.

That's about all it says. How the hell do i know if they're working correctly?
                Last edited by Hudson; 12-29-2013, 11:23 PM.
                Hudson

Comment

buy a different scanner that tell readiness status.
                  It should have a list of all the OBD2 emission test then complete or incomplete next to it.

Or just drive it for a few days and hope everything completes.
                  RCrocs #123 Brown CJ-5
                  www.offroadcustomcreations.com

Sponsors:
                  Corbeau, Tom Wood, PSC, Polyperformance, Inner Air Lock, Miller Welds, Heavymetal Concepts

Comment

^-- what he said.

Sent from my pay phone in Chechnya
                    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                    MK2 Jetta > M3
                    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Alright.

Currently have no check engine lights on.

All of the I/M monitors are working except the "O" one for the oxygen sensors. That ones still flashing. I can have one out, correct? Is there any certain time when the jeep runs this monitor that i can do to get it to pass?

My only other problem is my muffler. There's a big fucking hole in it. The exhaust is getting on the louder side. Is this a problem? Should i weld it closed for the time being or would you not worry about it?

Thanks again. Happy New Years!
                      Hudson

Comment

If there's a "big fucking hole" in it, then you should probably put a "big fucking patch" on it.
                        2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                        MK2 Jetta > M3
                        Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

hole in muffler wont matter, 2001 is just computer tested
                          up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                          eliminator MJ - Sold
                          99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                          Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Working...
                          X