Transmission/Tcase Problem(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission/Tcase Problem(s)

This is copy/pasted from naxja. Sorry for the rant, but if i delete it the rest of the post doesn't make sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am getting so fed up. Nothing is working. Blew a transfer case out of my jeep about three weeks ago, watched it bounce down the highway. Bought a Jetta for $800 to beat around until i could fix my jeep and the tranny blew on that this morning.

Took the day off from work to put a T-case in my jeep. Get a 231 in the jeep (had a 242 in it) and now the jeep won't move. So needless to say i now have two vehicles that are useless.

Anyways now that i'm done ranting i'll explain this a little.

Transfer case bounced down the highway. Took some wires off with it. (speedo-sensor wire and the 4 hi/lo/etc sensor wire.) I didn't plug any of those back into the 231 because i don't have the right sensors. I don't believe any of the transmission wires broke off at that point. I'm wondering if the tranny broke the same day the transfer case bounced down the highway. (It was super violent.)

I'm also having another problem. The jeep won't start sometimes. Has power in the cab (radio, dash lights, etc etc,) but it wont crank. No click. No nothing. Then randomly it will just crank over and fire up and idle rough.

When i do go to put it into gear i remember i used to have to hold the brake because when i shifted into "R" i could feel the torque go through all the components and to the wheels. When i did have it started tonight it was like shifting through the gears with the vehicle off (didn't feel any torque transfering). This leads me to think it's a tranny problem.

I honestly don't know. I'm fed up and starting to get really really tired of this thing.
    Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

No starting could be a bad ground or loose wire at the starter. Do your lights dim a lot when trying to start?

You kept the transmission after blowing up that T-case? You probably trashed it as well, that was some serious carnage it wouldn't suprise me if you even put a lot of torque back into the motor and damaged it. It all depends on how violent the liberation was.

I would find a cheap AW4 and put it in. Once the drivetrain components are set up, start playing with the wiring to see why it wont start.

Comment

Will check that out tomorrow and report back.

Yup. Honestly thought it would be fine. Engine did stall when the TCase blew apart. What do you think could be wrong? Bent crank? I did have it running and it sounded fine.

I actually started the jeep the same day it grenaded and put it into gear and watched the TCase spin. Hence why I'm so confused. Is it possible that the TCase I bolted up (Sardos 231) isn't engaged on the splines and the tranny is spinning just the splines aren't spinning the TCase?

How hard of a job is a tranny swap?
      Hudson

Comment

Hudson

Comment

I have a tranny, and a sye np231!
          -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
            I have a tranny, and a sye np231!
            How much? They both run? 21 or 23 spline? What year? Torque Convertor as well? Do you accept singles?
            Hudson

Comment

It rolls forwards and backwards in every single gear besides park.

In park it goes about 6-12 inches and then you hear what i assume is the parking paw click in place and you can't push it anymore.

I fired it up and there's a distinctive sound coming from the bellhousing area. Maybe the torque converter? I don't know.

Here's a video of said noise.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gTHevjIMVs[/ame]
              Hudson

Comment

Your first problem was buying a Jetta for a daily.

Find an AW4 and swap it. They're cheap.
                2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                MK2 Jetta > M3
                Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
                  How much? They both run? 21 or 23 spline? What year? Torque Convertor as well? Do you accept singles?
                  uhh the tranny is from a 98, yes 23 spline on both, Yes it should have the torque convertrer.
                  -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

broken flexplate is what that sounds like. as far as the tranny i would of pulled it or at least dropped the pan to check it.

Comment

that 231 went in fine?

according to the long time trans guy i talked to who i was going to have do my AW4 they never break. in 20+ years he's only seen 1 that actually needed parts, he said to just pull the pan off of the one i was putting into my XJ and take a quick look. change the filter and put it in.

i also have that AW4 you test fit that 231 onto that i no longer need so..... ya.

what jetta trans do you have?

Comment

Yeah, that 231 went in fine. When the jeep is running and the tranny is in any gear the thing vibrates/shakes like crazy but i'm pretty sure that has to do with my flex plate. I think the T-case is totally fine.

The only difference i noticed is the front yoke is different. The bolts go in the opposite way than the cherokee ones do. I'm sure i can just unbolt a yoke off my blown case and bolt it on fine, but i did notice that as a difference.

I'll pull the trans pan and inspect that when i get some free time.

Is there any way inspect the flex plate easily? I have access to one of those cameras on a stick, and if i could use it that would be awesome before totally pulling the trans.

I'll keep that in mind.

No idea. How many did they come with?
                        Hudson

Comment

2.0 or VR?

If it's an O2O I have one.
                          2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
                          MK2 Jetta > M3
                          Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Hudson

Comment

Working...
                            X