Trailer Brake Woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Brake Woes

This trailer has been sitting at my buddy's house for about 5 years with minimal use until I picked it up. It is an 18' deck over, dual axle, rear axle only electric brake set up with new wiring from about 6 years ago. When I picked it up I noticed the brake controller (drawtite activator 2) wasn't registering the trailer when the plug was in the receptacle on the truck (2012 Chevy 1500). Saturday I pulled the drums off to inspect the wiring in the assembly and noticed that mice got to the insulation which then was all replaced. Then I backed the truck down the driveway, plugged it into the truck, stepped on the brake pedal to see if it registered on the Activator2 and I got 3 results.

Scenario 1

- I would apply light pressure to the brake and the decimal would show up on the digital read out.

- Then I would use the manual control which would bring the number indication up onto the digital read out.

Scenario 2

- I would apply light pressure to the brake and the decimal would show up on the digital read out.

- Then I would use the manual control which would bring nothing up onto the digital read out.

Scenario 3 (maybe coincidental)

- I turned on the head and tail lights

- Then I would use the manual control which would bring the number indication up onto the digital read out.

After doing some research today, a lot of articles talk about grounding issues which I haven't checked yet other than every light on the trailer works. But during the wire replacement I noticed that the swing arm the magnet is attached to has in and out play, parallel to the axle. Is this normal?

I went through the controller wiring and everything is correct.

Any ideas why the controller wouldn't be picking up the connection to the trailer? Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help
    Attached Files

You are going to have to check for continuity between the wire at the magnet and the plug at the tongue of the trailer. At least make sure that the wire is in one piece to start. Well, all of them really. Then check the ground side.
    Dan.
    2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
    www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Working...
    X