2001 XJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2001 XJ

Picked up a 2001 XJ with 99,000 miles. $500.

Guy said that his mechanic said the headgasket was blown and needed replacement.

I bought the jeep knowing of the 0331 problem and fully ready to spend the money on a new head and gasket and getting everything needed to drop a 0630 head or 0331 clearwater reinforced head on.

When i got the jeep home i realized the serpentine belt was snapped. The alternator was seized, the A/C compressor was seized, all the brake lines were rusted through, and the battery was dead.

I went ahead and replaced all of those. The jeep is now running.

Seems to be puffing white smoke out of the exhaust. Figured that might have something to do with the fact that the jeep has been sitting for three years or so. After about 5 minutes it slightly cleared up but not all the way.

The radiator is also cracked. The coolant flashed over and steam began pouring out of the upper radiator hose. I'm not sure if it overheated because the system couldn't keep pressure in the system to raise the boiling point or if the water pump is shot or what have you.

Hottest the thermostat housing hit (checked with an IR gun) is about 275 degrees. (right after it flashed over. Hot, i know.)

Problems i've noticed so far with this jeep besides the obvious are;

- Temperature gauge on dash is broken. (The sensor on the thermostat housing is probably in need of replacement but i'm not sure.)
    - The shifter positions (P, R, N, D, 3, 2-1) don't light up when the lights are on.
    - The fan only works on #4 speed. (Blower motor resistor if i remember correctly?)

Where would you guys go next? New radiator and hoses along with a water pump and see if it overheats again?

Compression test it first and then just eliminate the 0331 head all together?

Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Replace water pump and cooling shit. It's cheap and easy. Don't replace a head, 0331 or not, unless it's got problems.

As to the shifter... Welcome to Jeeps.
    2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
    MK2 Jetta > M3
    Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Alright so on order for tomorrow;

- Radiator
      - New hoses
      - Thermostat
      - Radiator Cap
      - Water Pump
      - Thermostat Housing
      - Pickup Tube
      - Thermostat (To get the dash gauge working again hopefully)
      - Coolant

I think that's it. Anything else you would recommend?

I'll do a compression test as well when i get a minute.

I actually never heard of that shifter not lighting up. Didn't realize it was common. What's the cause?
      Hudson

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
        Alright so on order for tomorrow;

- Radiator
        - New hoses
        - Thermostat
        - Radiator Cap
        - Water Pump
        - Thermostat Housing
        - Pickup Tube
        - Thermostat (To get the dash gauge working again hopefully)
        - Coolant

I think that's it. Anything else you would recommend?

I'll do a compression test as well when i get a minute.

I actually never heard of that shifter not lighting up. Didn't realize it was common. What's the cause?
        someone on here or NAXJA is parting out an XJ, get all the stuff from him on the cheap, don't be like my brother and put a stupid amount into it for no reason. i know i saw an add around for one with a good radiator, but you are right with new stuff like the water pump.

if that needs a head just go get an entire 4.0 that is running for $200 and swap it out. for a bit more than that i think my brother can rebuild a 4.0 head for you, he has one or two kicking around.

also the shifter light needs a new bulb, pull the console apart and you can see it takes a small bulb.

Comment

Sounds like the temp gauge was broken, radiator started to leak, so it overheated without anyone noticing and run until the headgasket/head went.
          That will be my guess. Regardless of system pressure just sitting at idle shouldnt produce enough heat to have it get that hot. If the system was full, and circulating, than you have another problem.
          Dan.
          2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
          www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

I have a good head for you
            -Caleb

Crawl Daddy Champion 2011

1999 XJ 4 inchs of lift or so, 35s and some other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
              I have good head for you
              Keep it to the twink forums, champ.
              2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
              MK2 Jetta > M3
              Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Actually Sardo none of this is really that expensive. Really basic maintance stuff that i don't like skimping out on. The alternator, battery, and serpentine belt and brake lines were like $150 total with the advance online discounts.

For the cooling overhaul it's like $168 with the online discounts. Really not bad at all again. Totally willing to spend that.

The only expensive part is going to be the head. (Which is why i want bigbikes 4.0 to some degree.) The only thing that is going to irk me is that this engine only has 99,000 miles on it. I don't want to drop in an entire 4.0 and have an XJ with 99k on the odometer but 200k on the motor. I guess i'm just fucking insane like that.

I'd rather buy a $400 head to keep a low mile motor turning. I figure if i drop $1000 into the jeep and end up into it at $1500 i can easily double my money if i were to flip the thing.

Would a compression test tell me anything?

I have one of those test kits that you unscrew the rad cap and put some liquid in it and it changes colors or some shit if the heads bad. I'll give that a whirl as well if i can find it.
                Hudson

Comment

pff through take my engine through the head on yours
                  -Caleb

Comment

Originally posted by Bigbike View Post
                    pff through take my engine through the head on yours
                    If I did that I would have to resurface the head correct? I'd also need to figure out where to get a 99 exhaust manifold and I'd keep my 01 intake.

Am I missing anything?
                    Hudson

Comment

ill give you all that stuff with motor, prolly a good idea to get it resurfaced, i just did the head/headgasket 3000 miles ago
                      -Caleb

Comment

What do you even want for all of that?

How would i eliminate the coil pack ignition system and downgrade to the older cap and rotor setup? Or is it not even worth it?
                        Hudson

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
                          If I did that I would have to resurface the head correct? I'd also need to figure out where to get a 99 exhaust manifold and I'd keep my 01 intake.

Am I missing anything?
                          if you have a head that isn't cracked, all the springs and valves are good my brother can redo it for you around $350 or $400 as long as there are no major problems.

pull the valve cover off and look for cracks there, if there aren't any then replace everything else and try to run it. still problems then pull the head and check for cracks.

Comment

Originally posted by sardo_67 View Post
                            if you have a head that isn't cracked, all the springs and valves are good my brother can redo it for you around $350 or $400 as long as there are no major problems.

pull the valve cover off and look for cracks there, if there aren't any then replace everything else and try to run it. still problems then pull the head and check for cracks.
                            I personally don't see it worth $375 to redo the head when i can buy a clearwater reinforced 0331 head with all new springs, valves, etc for $450.

Going to start working on this jeep when i get home from work tonight. Figure i'll do this;

- Compression test
                            - Test radiator for combustion gases
                            - Pull the valve cover
                            - Anything else i have time for.
                            Hudson

Comment

Compression. Throttle wide open and cranked until the gauge stopped rising. All spark plugs removed.

1 - 125 PSI
                              2 - 167 PSI
                              3 - 170 PSI
                              4 - 180 PSI
                              5 - 169 PSI
                              6 - 189 PSI

Any other ways to check for a cracked head/blown gasket?
                              Hudson

Comment

Working...
                              X