Painting/Fixing up WJ sliders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting/Fixing up WJ sliders

I am getting really sick of seeing the terrible rust holes that have developed on my Overland sliders. I don't have the money right now to buy new sliders, and I haven't found a set I really like...so I want to fix up the current ones.

Here is what I am thinking...please let me know if you have any other ideas!

Remove the sliders and end caps - get rid of all rust

Sand them down and clean them

For the spots that have holes - use an expanding foam type of deal and fill the holes

Use something like this https://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=40 to cover the rusted spots

Finish with another layer of paint
    mrs. heavymetal from jeepforum
    2022 JL Rubicon

Originally posted by hoggie101
    and everyone qute dis because its the best grammer im going to have all year

for aesthetics and not to slide over rocks:

break away rust

sand to clean up

expanding foam underneath, sand/carve excess

bondo over top of that

paint paint paint

or skip all that and hire someone to cleanly metal patch it to avoid any potential problems with the foam over long periods of time

but what do i know
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

nothing

2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

Expanding foam will just cause it to rust faster.

Comment

Originally posted by rctrav View Post
          Expanding foam will just cause it to rust faster.
          expanding foam is likely to capture some trace moisture, sure

considering they are rusting from the inside out, the only way to truly fix them is to cut the entire section out to remove all rust inside, and replace it with new metal. the realistic scenario is they are formed metal pieces and patching isnt straight forward or easy, not to mention we dont have a welder, so expanding foam/bondo is a good fix for the mean time. some day the jeep will need new sliders, at least with this it wont look like its full of rust holes. the holes are small, the rust cancer inside isnt.

removing all the rust we can, coating it, and then foaming, bondo'ing, and painting, is the best budget fix i can think of short of metal work

after all its a slider not a quarter panel and the holes are very small, and its a winter fix before theyre replaced with something else
          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Thin sheetmetal, cut out the cancer, weld new sheetmetal in, grind/sand smooth, paint.

I know a guy that knows a guy that may or may not do some welding. He goes by "The Pastafarian".
            2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
            MK2 Jetta > M3
            Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Fairchild View Post
              Thin sheetmetal, cut out the cancer, weld new sheetmetal in, grind/sand smooth, paint.

I know a guy that knows a guy that may or may not do some welding. He goes by "The Pastafarian".
              read before post

or consider the reading before repeating
              - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

Take them off before they get too bad. Sell on JF for lots of money..buy JCR
                P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
                2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
                OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
                  Take them off before they get too bad. Sell on JF for lots of money..buy JCR
                  really not a bad idea..
                  - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

JCR are too expensive for me right now...at least the ones I like. Like Will said its just a temp fix for now to get through the winter.
                    2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

Pictures go a million miles when talking about rust.

If this is a "temp fix for now" why even bother? Instead of buying the foam, paint, etc etc, just toss that in a mason jar labeled "Slider money". You'll be about ~$40 or so closer.
                      Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Sell them now while they are still in decent shape. Go winter without them. Buy in spring or when JCR has a sale. Not to say you'll get this because they have some rust, but I've seen those go for $400 on JF. Even if you only get $150-$200 that's a good chunk for new ones......
                        P8R

OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
                          Pictures go a million miles when talking about rust.

If this is a "temp fix for now" why even bother? Instead of buying the foam, paint, etc etc, just toss that in a mason jar labeled "Slider money". You'll be about ~$40 or so closer.
                          she wanted them fixed to look nice in the meantime, I am not trying to talk her out of it, its her jeep
                          - Will

aliens probed my husband

Comment

To be honest with you I probably won't end up buying sliders unless I got a good deal on overland ones in better shape. I like how they look and my jeep is never going to be wheeled hardcore. So I'm going to start with this temp fix and see how it works out. I have a bunch of other rust spots on the jeep I need to worry about as well, this is just one of many places that needs repair.
                            2022 JL Rubicon

Comment

Originally posted by Lawn Guyland View Post
                              To be honest with you I probably won't end up buying sliders unless I got a good deal on overland ones in better shape. I like how they look and my jeep is never going to be wheeled hardcore. So I'm going to start with this temp fix and see how it works out. I have a bunch of other rust spots on the jeep I need to worry about as well, this is just one of many places that needs repair.
                              Fair enough, it sounded like you were gonna buy new ones anyway. I too love the look of the stock overland ones. They are also 1/8" so they aren't useless by any means. Just in case Gill wants to get frisky on the Rape Whistle
                              P8R

Comment

Working...
                              X