Cutting brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting brakes?

Been looking into "cutting" rear brakes so I can drag one tire or the other. Trying to get more information on this subject. Do I need a atlas or front dig applicable t case? Is it essentially just adding another e brake? How do you separated the e brake? Will this work with a spool in the rear diff? Can this be done with a np231? Front 60 will be added over winter......
    Last edited by Schickos881; 07-31-2013, 10:20 PM.

you cant use the cutting brakes for individual wheel manipulation with a spool but you can for using it for locking out the rear or front axle entirely (both tires) to do a dig
    - Will

Originally posted by fizzy
    or am asians pants not a read end lol.
    Originally posted by DizzDizz
    aliens probed my husband

Comment

the only way it will work with right and left sides of an axle is if you have an ARB. you'd need to disengage the locker to lock up one individual wheel on a given axle.

To lock up the front axle/rear axle under load you'd need a transfer case that allows you to disengage the axle first (dana 300, atlas, etc.). For example, the typical way of doing a front dig would be first to disengage the rear axle, then use the cutting brake to lock up both rear tires and then give it gas.

They are sometimes used in classes of rock crawling that don't allow disengaging individual axles front/rear, because mostly under decent or sometimes in light acceleration they can help to maneuver the rig alittle tighter for cone dodging. I think most of the class 1 and 2 crawling guys run them, even though i'm pretty sure front digs are illegal in both of those classes.

The cutting brake is just simply two cylinders with a handle that is plumbed into the brake lines after the pedal and before the axles, it allows you to divert the fluid pressure in either direction. Depending how you plumb them it could be front/rear or front axle- right/left and rear axle- right/left.

Last edited by Zullock Holmes; 07-31-2013, 11:53 PM.
      No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
      Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

All I see are lots dollar bills signs.

Comment

i would skip the cutting brakes for now and look into transfer cases first. twin stick and gear reduction
          I drive a Datsun

Comment

Originally posted by Burton58 View Post
            i would skip the cutting brakes for now and look into transfer cases first. twin stick and gear reduction
            would be a better investment to start with
            No worries, I'm not actually back, I'm just reminiscing about the old days.

ForSure Motorsports
            Win or Lose, We Booze.

Vice President of Internal Affairs at Dirty Donny's House of Hookers

Comment

Working...
            X