Now another issue....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now another issue....

Well, I grabbed a fully tested, functional hvac control this morning to fix my vents only working at 4 and no a/c issue. I pulled the old one out to find that the vacuum harness wasn't fully connected since somehow one of the plastic studs was missing.

So, I install the newer controls and......same issue. Only now, the compressor makes a clicking sound, but the blower still only works on 4.

WTF could it be?
    1998 XJ.....Finally.
    1997 ZJ 4.0L....The wife's ride.

...And I'm a Mac

Doorless mod...problem solved
    Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
    didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
    Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
    he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
    Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
    i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

Originally posted by hippie metal View Post
      Doorless mod...problem solved
      That's always a great option
      1998 XJ.....Finally.

...And I'm a Mac

Comment

Originally posted by Chaos View Post
        but the blower still only works on 4.

WTF could it be?
        blower motor Resistor
        Originally posted by Ktmracer419
        some people choose video games
        some choose projects
        some choose welding random things together

Comment

Only now, the compressor makes a clicking sound
          so your not getting any AC?

you say the compressor is clicking. Im guessing thats the clutch on teh compressor enganging. How long does the compressor stay running?

Are you low on refrigerant?
          some choose projects

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
            so your not getting any AC?

you say the compressor is clicking. Im guessing thats the clutch on teh compressor enganging. How long does the compressor stay running?

Are you low on refrigerant?
            Just realized that the resistor is the fault for the blower....

It's a dull click, but the clutch doesn't engage at all. I do have a pressure gauge for the system. I have no idea when it worked last. I can move the clutch by hand though so I know it isn't frozen up.
            1998 XJ.....Finally.

...And I'm a Mac

Comment

check to see if your getting juice to the compressor. Put a multimeter on the AC fuse in the fuse block under the hood. i think its a big 20 amp fuse. check to see if you have 12 volts with the AC on.

another way to check is by taking a screwdriver to the compressor while its running and see if it gets magnetized to the clutch... (CAUTION.... DANGEROUS.... DONT TOUCH THE FAN)

If you have no power it could be the pressure in the system is low, i think the pressure switch wont kick the compressor on if its too low.

if you have power to it and the compressor still isnt engaging it could be the shimming between the clutch disk and the compresor shaft... Pull the nut off the shaft, pull the clutch disk off, and there should be a tiny little washer/shim (could be multiple shims) that spaces the disk off.... take that out and put it back together... and now hopefully the compressor will engage
              some choose projects

Comment

Got some results. I checked the pressure and its perfectly charged. I then discovered that cyl # 1 plug wire wasn't plugged in. Somehow, when I started it back up, the compressor worked twice for a few seconds each time and didn't work afterwards. I did take out the blower motor resistor and its completely rusted.
                1998 XJ.....Finally.

...And I'm a Mac

Comment

Got some results. I checked the pressure and its perfectly charged. I then discovered that cyl # 1 plug wire wasn't plugged in. Somehow, when I started it back up, the compressor worked twice for a few seconds each time and didn't work afterwards. I did take out the blower motor resistor and its completely rusted.
                  not sure how you didnt notice you were a cylinder down lolololol.

try taking a shim out and report back.
                  some choose projects

Comment

I'm not sure how I missed that either lol. I'll try the shim on Wednesday, getting too hot out here.
                    1998 XJ.....Finally.

...And I'm a Mac

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
                      blower motor Resistor
                      Beat me to it
                      I drive a Datsun

Comment

Today, I went through the while shim operation. I know OEM spec is .020. It was way over that. Took one shim out and it brought it into spec. Fired it up........and nothing at all. I tested the fuse.....had power. I tested the connectors to the relay.....had power. Tested the harness to the compressor...NO power. Figured it's a relay. Went and picked up a new one. Put it in, and low and behold, nothing happened.

Bad clutch? or is the compressor somehow dead after working (albeit briefly) on Monday?
                        Last edited by Chaos; 06-26-2013, 08:10 PM. Reason: Grammar Fail
                        1998 XJ.....Finally.

...And I'm a Mac

Comment

Just realized something: Over the past couple heat waves, at times the electric fan won't come on, and I know on a couple of instances the temp has hit 217. I'm going to see if it's working at all tomorrow, but could a dead cooling fan relay cause the lack of power to the compressor even though the fuse and relay for the a/c are fine?
                          1998 XJ.....Finally.

...And I'm a Mac

Comment

Part out.
                            Originally posted by HitItWithSomeSpeed
                            didnt this thread start with Jon being gay? what happened to that?
                            Originally posted by Lawn Guyland
                            he's still gay we've just moved on to more important issues
                            Originally posted by Zullius Caesar
                            i grab dude's junk all the time, doesn't make me gay.

Comment

I finally fixed it tonight. Squeals like a pig when it starts up, but the belt has outlived it's usefulness. At least I have ice old ac and a headliner that will take a nuclear blast. On to the next repair/thread....
                              1998 XJ.....Finally.

...And I'm a Mac

Comment

Working...
                              X