'01 XJ Hard Start Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '01 XJ Hard Start Issue

I posted about this a few days after I bought the truck, but since I've owned it for about a month now, I've gathered some more info. I am having a hard start issue that is very odd. When I wake up first thing in the morning to go to the gym, it fires up first shot pretty quickly with no issues. The gym is only a half mile away so the truck definitely doesn't get hot by the time I get there. When I leave the gym, it always takes 5-10 seconds for it to crank over. I come home, shower, eat, and leave for work, and same thing happens. Throughout the rest of the day, every time I start it, I experience the same issue where it takes a long time to start.

I was led to believe that it was the check valve in the tank, but today I finally got a chance to throw a fuel pressure gauge on the rail, and as soon as I turn the key, it goes up to 45 psi, no problem. I repeated the test with the car completely cold, and with it warmed up...same result.

Now I'm not sure where to start diagnosing this problem. I've done a lot of reading, but nobody seems to have the same issue. Thoughts?
    -Michael
    2001 Silverstone Metallic XJ Limited - TJ Moabs, Grabbers, 3" lift, RC trackbar, etc. - SOLD
    2014 Granite Crystal JGC Limited - Hemi, Tow-pack, Lux-Pack II, 20's
    2001 DHG Mustang Bullitt - 5.3 4v stroker, Comp Cams, VMP TVS, T56, Built IRS, etc...
    702rwhp/684rwtq

my 03 wrangler does this if i just start it and move it a short distance.. it is not always my daily so i will move in in the am to get a car out and if i start it later it does the same thing...... cranks a little longer but then fires up..... it has never not started so i just figured it was normal..... interested in seeing what other people have to say as well!
    -98 XJ 4.5" lift , 35's, trimmed, locked, geared, flexy
    -14 Subaru STI hatch Stage 2ish
    -54 Dodge Power wagon M-37
    -57 GMC Pickup
    -Tim (OIIIIIO)

Comment

My 99 XJ did this as well, stopped doing it after swapping a new starter in (the hard starts not being the problem I was fixing at the time). Maybe unrelated, but it worked.
      2000 XJ: "The Black Jeep"
      MK2 Jetta > M3
      Chairman of the Chechnyan Space Program

Comment

While there are a few possibilities, one of the first things to consider is a faulty "coolant temp sensor". Located on the thermostat housing for your 01.

It provides input on temperature to the computer, which then can decide on the proper mixture, etc. for a quick start. What the computer decides on for a cold engine is a lot different than a hot engine.

The CTS can be tested, but testing is kind of a PITA. Refer to a service manual for more information, or many guys just swap them out as they aren't that expensive.
        Hudson

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=121903

No Amount Of Money Is Worth Your Sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Hudson View Post
          While there are a few possibilities, one of the first things to consider is a faulty "coolant temp sensor". Located on the thermostat housing for your 01.

It provides input on temperature to the computer, which then can decide on the proper mixture, etc. for a quick start. What the computer decides on for a cold engine is a lot different than a hot engine.

The CTS can be tested, but testing is kind of a PITA. Refer to a service manual for more information, or many guys just swap them out as they aren't that expensive.
          Great thought, cheap and easy. Although it looks as if the one I have in there is new, or at least fairly new, I'll probably go ahead and change it and see whats what. I also talked to Drew (Jeep Creep) over at Napa yesterday and he suggested the crank sensor. I may try that as well.
          -Michael
          2001 Silverstone Metallic XJ Limited - TJ Moabs, Grabbers, 3" lift, RC trackbar, etc. - SOLD
          2001 DHG Mustang Bullitt - 5.3 4v stroker, Comp Cams, VMP TVS, T56, Built IRS, etc...
          702rwhp/684rwtq

Comment

Originally posted by Bullitt4113 View Post
            Great thought, cheap and easy. Although it looks as if the one I have in there is new, or at least fairly new, I'll probably go ahead and change it and see whats what. I also talked to Drew (Jeep Creep) over at Napa yesterday and he suggested the crank sensor. I may try that as well.
            i dont think its a crank sensor because it just wouldnt start..... coolant temp sensor i doubt aswell, that shouldnt effect the time it takes to start the engine.

try priming the fuel pump by turning the key on and off a few times before you crank it over.
            Originally posted by Ktmracer419
            some people choose video games
            some choose projects
            some choose welding random things together

Comment

Originally posted by justtorchit View Post
              i dont think its a crank sensor because it just wouldnt start..... coolant temp sensor i doubt aswell, that shouldnt effect the time it takes to start the engine.

try priming the fuel pump by turning the key on and off a few times before you crank it over.
              I've tried that at least 100 times and it makes no difference. Also, this weekend and yesterday I was away on a business trip and I fired it up this morning and it took half a second. It's like the longer it sits the quicker it starts. I don't get it...
              -Michael
              702rwhp/684rwtq

Comment

once it fires up , does it idle or run rough for a few seconds ?
                up to 40% off parts from advance auto parts, buy online and pick up at store for free-click here!
                eliminator MJ - Sold
                99 TJ on 36's - Sold 95 ZJ -parted out/scrapped
                Current Project - 'Family hauler' 2001 XJ

Comment

Originally posted by 1cleantj View Post
                  once it fires up , does it idle or run rough for a few seconds ?
                  Yes, I've noticed that as well. Probably for about 7-10 seconds, then it runs flawless.
                  -Michael
                  702rwhp/684rwtq

Comment

UPDATE: Very weird, it seems as if the longer the car sits, the easier it is to start. I was away at a conference for work again Monday and Tuesday, and when I fired the truck up Wednesday morning for work, it fired IMMEDIATELY! Thoughts?
                    -Michael
                    702rwhp/684rwtq

Comment

UPDATE: Got a check engine light this morning, pulled codes and I have P0118 and P0301. I know the first one is the coolant temp sensor, that's because the plug clip is broken and if I bump into it (which I did with the wrench tightening the belt tension) it sends a CEL, but the P0301 (CYL 1 Misfire) doesn't make much sense, EXCEPT for the fact that the truck has had a hard time starting as mentioned in this thread.

CPS??? I read in another thread they are related. Thoughts?
                      -Michael
                      702rwhp/684rwtq

Comment

Working...
                      X