• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Delivery Issues

Here's what I've been through:

3 fuel pumps
    2 sending units
    1 new gas tank

It seems the gas doesn't always like getting to my motor. I hit a bump, motor sputters. If I stop at a stop sign going downhil, the Jeep turns off. I have this funny feeling that my gas is sloshing around inside the tank and not getting to my fuel pickup.

I also replaced the IAC recently, so it idles fine when parked on completely level ground.

How does the fuel pickup inside the tank work? I know there is a pan inside the tank to prevent such things but what do I do if it still continues to happen?
    sigpic
    Official Space Shuttle Door Gunner of the Chechnyan Space Program

my last fuel tank had been bashed so many times that the pan actually broke off the bottom and was sloshing around inside....however id say just keep more gas in it lol.
    -00 XJ. 3.5", 33s. Stuff
    https://www.facebook.com/M3TALurgist
    I Love Scott Decker and Erik Miller
    -Ian

"Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family"

Comment

That's sweet, this is a brand new tank and it does it when there is 3/4 of a tank in there, sometimes even with a full tank.
      sigpic

Comment

Are you gas lines from the cold war era still maybe they are clogged or pinched somewhere
        2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
        97' zj
        2012 surbra imperza DD
        im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Originally posted by hoggie101 View Post
          Are you gas lines from the cold war era still maybe they are clogged or pinched somewhere
          But here is my issue with that, it would then do it all the time under normal driving conditions, why does my jeep run well enough on level ground but stall out when I come to a stop going downhill or the vehicle gets jolted?

Yeah, my cold war gas lines could be corroded...should I just get a fuel cell?
          sigpic

Comment

I cant see that being an issue with that much fuel in it. What you can do is run a fuel pressure gauge outside and drive it, when you come to a stop see if you have a drop in fuel pressure.
            With all of the other parts replaced was the actual pickup tube in the tank replaced?
            Dan.
            2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
            www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
              With all of the other parts replaced was the actual pickup tube in the tank replaced?
              That I don't actually know. I didn't install the new tank and sending unit / fuel pump.
              sigpic

Comment

I would drive it with a fuel pressure gauge and make sure that it is actually a fuel delivery issue.
                Dan.
                2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

For theory, what would be the issue if I have bad fuel pressure or the fact that it would fluctuate and what would be the issue if my fuel pressure remained the same even when the vehicle sputters and or turns off at a stop sign?
                  sigpic

Comment

If it maintains fuel pressure than its not a delivery issue, and you can move away from that system. If it does drop or go erratic coming to a stop at least you know for a fact that it is a fuel issue. At that point you have some options on how to test farther, but you know what your testing for.
                    One more question, does i only happen when coming to a complete stop? Does braking force affect how badly this happens?
                    I would ask if hard acceleration also affected it but I think my definition of that applies to your Jeep...
                    Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Oh also can you 2 foot it and keep it running? Have you tried to come to a stop in neutral to see if it still stalled?
                      Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
                        Oh also can you 2 foot it and keep it running? Have you tried to come to a stop in neutral to see if it still stalled?
                        Yes, if the motor is revving above the standard idle then it won't stall out, it tries to and it may sputter sometimes but I power past the misfires until it returns to normal. I have tried two footing it, but before I replaced the IAC, I had to rev the motor up with the brakes on while in neutral and then put it in drive with my foot on the brake and slowly ease off the brakes in order for it not to die.

The IAC was replaced and the throttle body was cleaned and now that happens less. There is still the issue of the vehicle stopping and retuning to idle when on and incline or decline. Stopping the vehicle abruptly will cause sputtering, hitting a pothole and a series of hard bumps in the road will cause the vehicle to drastically lose power and the motor to sputter.

Just driving to Bridgeport today it happened 3 times in a row. Downhill stop sign and the vehicle just turned off in the road. I really think it's the fuel pickup because I can't think of anything else it could be.
                        Last edited by Buffalo Phil; 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

How old is your battery?

Comment

Brand new he just picked up a battery 230cca at sear today shot should be mint. Also he he a fucking massive nigger you asshat you cut open my orange goof contner! Who does that!?!? All you had to do was just un screw the top!
                            2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
                            97' zj
                            2012 surbra imperza DD
                            im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Originally posted by hoggie101 View Post
                              Brand new he just picked up a battery 230cca at sear today shot should be mint. Also he he a fucking massive nigger you asshat you cut open my orange goof contner! Who does that!?!? All you had to do was just un screw the top!

Originally posted by BRock89GW View Post
                              How old is your battery?
                              Maybe a year or so old.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X