Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i have a problem......

my shaft is bent......

i know, sounds like a personal problem, especially for me, but nevertheless i need to do something. so here's what happened. whacked my 6 month old beautiful tatton shaft on something during christmas time and it is now bent right at the beginning of the splines. sick. vibrates real good from 30-40 mph so it is not road usable anymore for my purposes. i wish it was a wheeling only rig because then there would be zero fucks given. unfortunately i need it to clip 65 on a normal basis.

so here are my options.

1. buy a new tatton shaft, same one for 250$. this is a darn good price for the quality of shaft you get from this guy in my opinion. use the bent shaft to wheel on and use the new one on the road only as another $250 hit would not be ideal.

2. attempt to rebuild my tatton shaft. send it to curtis and for $125 she's all set to go, plus shipping so i am guessing around $175 total. not worth it in my opinion so i am not really considering this.

3. attempt to rebuild shaft myself. purchase the splined piece for 55 bucks and weld it back into my shaft now. probably wouldn't come out too good in terms of straightness and balance after all is said and done.

4. get xj front shaft and build my own custom shaft for cheap since it won't matter when i destroy this fucker on the rocks i can just grab another. may not turn out well in terms of straightness and balance either. also read that this operation comes at a risk of shot joints all around and end up dumping 3 times as much coin as you want to rebuild it.

i am really leaning to option 1 because it is the most cost effective, reliable and simple. if anyone is a driveshaft pro and thinks they could help me out at all i'd love to listen to whatever advice you might have on building a custom shaft. i would like to build a custom one. when my jeep is off the road forever that is what i'll do because the precision won't matter really.

just gettin frustated......help me make decisions.

thanks, john
    Hack Shack Racing #4632 Jeep TJ

No warranty or anything?
    P8R

2012 Honda Accord - For DD/MPG Porpoises - Cooper Tire: Count on Cooper
    2014 Granite Crystal WK2 Limited - Nitto Tire: Fueled by Enthusiasts

Poontang Pro 300EX 42" - For lawn porpoises
    OG KOT #4736 Semper Sky Rock Racing/Standardbred Racing Designs 15.5 HP Turbo-Cool Craftsman, 6 Spd w/ crawl box, fat turf treads, Custom paint, and a red onzie

Comment

How's you Bonner doing these days?
      2000 xj 4.5 clayton longarms with wontons with a touch of
      97' zj
      2012 surbra imperza DD
      im a motivation machine like the hammer and sickle in communism

Comment

Just buy a new shaft. I've got a woody.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro View Post
          No warranty or anything?
          i called him up and tried to sound like it was pretty shitty that the shaft bent, i really don't understand how i bent it it's so beefy and i don't have any recollection of really nailing anything too hard. he didn't offer anything like that and there is no warranty on them when you buy em.

does woods have a warranty for you wrecking them?

and scott, do you really have a tj shaft for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by hoggie101 View Post
            How's you Bonner doing these days?
            just got it in last night

Comment

I just looked, only warranty on twisting the tube or breaking the welds. If we can get a way to center and spin the shaft its not hard to fix it, just have to make sure the new end is square. I could do it when I had a lathe. Just measure the runout and adjust the new end until its square and weld it up.
              Dan.
              2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

http://www.facebook.com/people/Dan-M...00000913365979
              www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Originally posted by ct67_72 View Post
                I just looked, only warranty on twisting the tube or breaking the welds. If we can get a way to center and spin the shaft its not hard to fix it, just have to make sure the new end is square. I could do it when I had a lathe. Just measure the runout and adjust the new end until its square and weld it up.
                in order to do what you're saying dan we would have to cut the insert piece with the splines out, and then rebuild from there with a new splined insert correct? i like the idea i just don't know if it will turn out as well as i need it to. you think we could do that precisely enough so that it doesn't wobble?

that's like a $65 job and i don't get a spare shaft, just sort of weighing the options still. then when i undoubtedly wack it again i'll have to fix it again. i just don't know if it's worth it.

let me know more of what you think i'm still feeling it out.

Comment

Its really not a big deal as long as you can get it true. If we can spin it to check runout it will be close enough to not need balancing.
                  Dan.
                  2000 XJ, BJ 60 front, welded, 5.13's, 3 link, ruffstuff heims. D70 rear, detroit, 5.13's, discs. stretched. trail ready beadlocks. 39" Red labels. 4:1 Klune V-drive/D20, PSC full hydro

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Its really not a big deal as long as you can get it true. If we can spin it to check runout it will be close enough to not need balancing.
                    where could we spin it? and how many times do you think it'll take before we get it right? and you really think no balancing for highway use? that seems odd i would think there's just no way we could get it that perfect without some kind of balance.

if this is a good and doable option it would really be the best.

Comment

Hmmm I have to think about what we can center it on. You are basically just checking runout with the new end before its welded. Once its true, which is just a matter of adjusting the pressed in end, just weld it up.
                      Honestly, with a good, true shaft I have never had a problem unbalanced, especially in a small shaft like we run. In a 9' long shaft with 1810 joints its a little different.
                      Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

Hmmm I have to think about what we can center it on. You are basically just checking runout with the new end before its welded. Once its true, which is just a matter of adjusting the pressed in end, just weld it up.
                        Honestly, with a good, true shaft I have never had a problem unbalanced, especially in a small shaft like we run. In a 9' long shaft with 1810 joints its a little different.
                        ok one more question, when we go to cut out the old part of the shaft and pull it out do you think we will fuck anything up in the process so the new piece cannot go in well?

Comment

maybe if you cut it lol, no you cant really fuck anything up.
                          Dan.

www.DMROFFROAD.com

Comment

lol true. i ended up ordering a new tatton shaft today because i need to have the jeep ready to roll on like march 1st when i come home for a week. problem is, i have a week only. so we'll talk and see if we can get this sucker straightened out then, if not i use the new shaft and fix up the old one over the summer and have two/sell one of em. or if we can successfully fix it then ill just send the new one back. good plan? it's just the timeframe problem, i would rather fix my shaft.

Comment

Working...
                            X